Chernobyl, Zombie Necropolis!

Return of the Living Dead 4: Necropolis is being filmed at Chernobyl. And apparently Return of the Living Dead 5: Rave from the Grave is being filmed simultaniously.
Tags: ,

1. nester says:

"Rave from the grave" sounds like someone a promoter around here would name a Holloween rave... CHEESE!

2. sachmet says:

I wish, I wish, I wish that this was yet another humorous quote or quip followed by a smart ass remark.

Too bad it's all true. That's just sad.

3. burnfaster says:

I'm pretty sure it was Nikita Khrushchev who said "The survivors will envy the dead, right up until the dead come for their brains. After that it's shotgun time."

4. fzou says:

I, for one, will welcome these PLUR-abiding zombie comrades with open arms.

"Group hug!"
    "Mmm, brains..." *num num num* "Ugh, note to self, sweaty raver hair tastes like crap, I'm never eating ravers again."

5. rcr203 says:

Looks like zombies are having a revival in the early 21st century..

28 Days Later sequel.

• roninspoon says:

I have a hypothesis about the relationship between the popularity of Zombie films and the perception of foriegn threat. If you plot out a time line of Zombie film popularity it seems to coincide nicely with such things as the peaks in the cold war, and the new Terrorist Threat. Also note that after the wall fell in 89 there was a relative derth of zombie films.

Zombie's are a perfect media symbol for an unstoppable and unreasoning foreign national threat, and their popularity seems to be closely linked with out national fears. Whether those fears are warranted or not is immaterial.

• wilecoyote says:

Interesting, but if that were the case, wouldn't the first zombie movies have appeared in the 50s? After all, that's when the Cold War was at its height.

Most of the treatises that I've read on the subject, anyway, tend to relate the original Romero movie with the social changes that took place in the 60s, so there might be something to the correlation zombies => "interesting times", just not necessarily with foreign menaces.

• belgand says:

Interesting, but I've been a fan of zombie films since I was a child. Now, the question behind this is whether zombie fandom has a particular instigating cause or not. If so, this could very well be the reason why we are seeing more zombie films recently: the fans have started growing up and producing zombie films.

Personally I don't think they have anything to do with each other, at least, not for me. Same deal as pirate hype. I've been into pirates for a much longer time and will be happy when the current fad fades away and allows me to enjoy it without looking like I'm following a trend.