Beloved by The People!

Front:

Back:

Remember, "The president's feet are not to touch the dirt."

Tags: ,

1. Call me crazy, but this sort of shit needs to go. This isn't a movie, there shouldn't be props. I know they pull this shit during speeches all the time, but to me it's always struck me as horribly phony and dishonest, despite whatever the intentions might be.

• mactavish says:

But then the huge advance crews (who find the hay, set up the lights, screen the questions, make sure only Bush supporters attend, and keep the rain from falling might lose jobs, and he doesn't want anyone to lose a job.

• madeleine says:

Doesn't Georgie-boy like to pretend he has a ranch back in Texas? oh wait a minute: maybe his feet can't touch the earth but wading in cow and other kinds of shit is ok. This would explain why the shit his administration generates doesn't seem to phase him.

• kathrynt says:

He only owns two cattle. The rest are someone else's; W accepts rent in order to let them graze on his land. He's scared of horses, and the cattle were a gift. He thought they were both bulls until one of them had a calf.

And that ranch? Original date for completion: November 2000. Before then, he vacationed in Kennebunkport with the rest of his family.

• No kidding... It's stuff like this that really annoys the crap out of me about GWB. That and his lousy ability at public speaking... eeeeesh.

Of course I'd rather that than a used-car salesman... ;)

2. quercus says:

Is it just me, but when you see poinless haybales alongside a speaker, do you expect to see a chorus of singing Muppets pop up from behind them ?

• cetan says:

Is it just me or are the Rainbow Connection lyrics really kinda creepy?

Have you been half asleep and have you heard voices?
      I've heard them calling my name.
      Is this the sweet sound that called the young sailors.
      The voice might be one and the same.
      I've heard it too many times to ignore it.
      It's something that I'm supposed to be.

I think the Muppets are telling me to kill, kill, kill.

• superlib says:

Thanks, you just made me think of Meet the Feebles. I had thankfully banished it from my brain for a while.
        It is back.
        In all its coke-snorting, poodle-fucking, sodomizing glory.

..and the muppets are telling you to kill. Obey them.

3. ofsilence says:

Is that the gopher from 'Caddyshack' checking things out in the first pic? Way back by the tree line...

4. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

5. romulusnr says:

if he touches the ground, do we have to burn him?

6. spikenheimer says:

for a second i wondered if maybe they had mounted the presidential podium on a segway. a bulletproof podium/segway transporter would be the way i'd travel around if i were president.

7. scosol says:

weird ficheye lens on the second pic, note everything leaning in

• asan102 says:

Could be wrong, but it looks to me like he's really standing that way. It looks like the podium is upright compared to Bush (and the hay). It seems that they are standing on a hill (which might help make it seem like he is closer to the audience) or they are on flat ground and it is a fisheye (which I'm starting to think because of the secret service guy and pole in background) and then the hay is angled back to help with the allusion of him being close. Of course the fisheye may be part of why he looks so far away in the first place.

• scosol says:

no- look at the vertical fenceposts-

the podium *is* upright to bush, and he's standing right next to it so they look almost parallel-
        but as you can see they're off to the left of the center of the picture, hance the angle.
        and yeah, the fisheye makes it look like he's a lot farther away than he actually is.

• asan102 says:

Yeah, I realize that there's obviously a fisheye accounting for most of the distortion. However:

Bush and the black light are much further apart in the photo than Bush and the podium. However, bush actually seems more or less parallel with the light, but he's actually not parallel with the podium, whereas it seems it should be the other way around. Also, even with the distortion, Bush and the floor he is standing on should be pretty close to a right angle from each other. However, it definitely looks like bush is leaning forward in relation to the floor, even when taking into account the distortion.

The hay-bales do seem too rectangular for being real hay-bales, although I don't see any sign of the material underneath - all the black i see seems to be the black board in the back showing through the gaps in the bails. I'd have to wonder why they would use fake bales though - surely regular bales would serve the purpose fine and would be easier to obtain. Maybe they would do it to avoid the mess of regular hay or of strands blowing in spectator's eyes, but that's apparently not the case because they seem to be covered with real hay, which is strewn on the podium floor just like real hay would. So I would guess it really is to provide some kind of protection, although the only thing I see this protecting is the presidents legs, so one wonders what the point is... (Maybe a vehicle barricade, bit it's only on one side, and the side that already has a physical fence and a wall of humans in front of it, which they could easily put a barricade on the other side of.

8. tjcrowley says:

More striking than how phony the set is is how few people he's addressing.

Everyone else must be safe behind the razorwire in the "free speech zone" several miles away.

9. belgand says:

There appear to be large, black, rectangular objects just behind the hay bales. This combined with the little moat makes me think this is all just for standard security. In this case made to look a little less like being obvious security measures and thus, making them even more obvious.

I'd say this likely has nothing to do with Bush and much more to do with the Secret Service.

10. brianinspace says:

I love that there's a fence there, too--wouldn't want to the people to be able to get too close!

11. berberrr says:

What's even crazier is what happens when Bush gets asked an uncripted question:

"Tribal sovereignty means that, it's sovereign. You're a -- you've been given sovereignty, and you're viewed as a sovereign entity. And, therefore, the relationship between the federal government and tribes is one between sovereign entities."

Here's the audio