"Your ideas are interesting to me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter."

Subject: JWZ.ORG?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:10:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jer <jdsalr@yahoo.com>
To: JZ480@JWZ.ORG

Hi,

What is that stuff on your site? Are there any other pages? Is it for sale? Just wondering.....

Jer

Tags:

1. dormando says:

Wish I could spend just one day with the mind of a confused internet user. That might be interesting, if nothing else.

2. Why have you posted the emails in plain text? I'd be considerate and "black them out".

Because there is little correlation between publishing of email addresses and spam load. Hiding in a burbclave doesn't make spam stop finding you.

Also, I don't care.

• legolas says:

Why do you think publishing an email address on the web won't get it more spam? I always assumed that was how most spam lists were made (with online list archives being prime targets)? (Why would they bother with address generation/guessing if you can just find the adresses online anyway?)

Because I know people who go out of their way to hide their addresses; and because I have never hidden my address (and have had the same one for a decade); and because they get just as much spam as I do (more, in some cases, because they have chosen worse ISPs than I did.) It just doesn't work.

Also, in general, address munging is as bad a "solution" as the original problem; it destroys the effectiveness of email as a communication medium in much the same way that spam does.

• i think maybe that person needs to learn what receiving retarded e-mail feels like. and now they can.

3. jabberwokky says:

My initials are JWZ, and since you aren't apparantly using your domain, I would like to buy it.

Now how many clueful kids nowadays go to your site, find all the pages (not hard, I'm slightly disappointed[1] that they are highlighted), and think it is a "Matrix spoof", having never seen a hex dump.

[1] but still think it is a good idea.

• nugget says:

I think you've got it exactly.

• lifftchi says:

Legend has it that the entry page is an actual dump from some executable our gracious host has worked on. (Yeah, I know, it's not a very interesting legend, is it?) The legend further goes on to say that there's some kind of easter egg, possibly having something to do with combining code from the app and the website.

The exact contents of the easter egg, I've never heard. Maybe it confers omniscience and immortality. *shrug* Maybe anyone who sees it dies in seven days.

• fantasygoat says:

I don't use the base level of my domain for anything except a banner ad for a site that sells syslog tools. I do everything under a tilde username.

I think I'm a dying breed.

Anyway, I get spam like that all the time.

*DELETED*!

• jabberwokky says:

I run a private network (think intranet for lots of friends). I used to have it set up that way, but after I moved cross-country, I fell in with a group of people who had their own "guy with a server that you can use for whatever you want", so I've slowly stripped users off of the system and a couple weeks ago flipped it to the often requested username.domain.net or http://www.domain.net/username. Since I have the org, com and net, I use the org for the group websites, the com for a personal website (for now), and the net for internal hostnames (lots of the foo.domain.net resolve to 192.168.x.x) and hosted pages.

4. mactavish says:

A quick search on the email address gets directory entries for a cheap magazine subscription website and a PS2 cheats website. I don't suspect that he's clueless so much as trying to be sneaky about something, and failing.

5. go_team_ari says:

that e-mail looks pretty generic, and the e-mail address is obviously copy & pasted from your whois info.. Did it actually come from Yahoo Mail? If I didn't know any better, I'd say it's just generic spam.

6. hotnickels says:

The Subject should have said....

Subject: Hi, i found this new drug, it's called crack.

7. bazil says:

P.S. jwz I hate you and your diabolical hex code. Damn you for causing me to delve into an evening wasted on it after work. ;P

8. hotabay says:

I seem to recall someone recently asking mozilla.org if they wanted to partner with a spyware company.

9. There's a couple of references on Google with that email address. Shockingly, you're right, all spam.

And even more on Usenet.

What an asshole. :P

10. bassfingers says:

Yeah, well, at one point some 6 or 7 years ago, I think, I wanted to get "egregious" from you but you never replied...

11. chaobell says:

What is that stuff on your site?

...I believe that would be called "content," spud.

That's a special kind of stupid, there. Or stupid spambot, one or the other.

12. cmdrmoocow says:

If only it was legitimate, it would allow some other fun activities, such as trying to sell the site for %d million$.

13. ivo says:

Man, if only this newbie would have simply issued:

$ lynx -dump -nolist http://jwz.org/ | perl -ne 'split;for(1..16){print(chr(hex$_[$_]))}' | strings -7

then he would have immediately known what your site is all about...

14. hotzenplotz says:

...a hint! which you of course refuse to give :-)

15. jdsalr says:

Nice conversation I have started. This email was not spam at all. I buy domains/sites for a living. I have sold hundreds. It was a legit question. I have owned sites such as freegamesonline.com and skinz.org.

No need to be rude ;0)

You seem to think that being a domain squatter is somehow more honorable than being a spammer. You're still a parasite -- and not a very smart one either.

• jdsalr says:

what the hell are you talking about? A domain squatter? If owning and running legit websites is squatting then looks like the internet should be shut down. I don't understand why you have to be so ignorant. All I asked was a simple question.

The point being that there is a lot of people out there that own domains and sites, and would like to sell them for various reasons.

So this isn't for sale...big deal. All i was looking for is a simple yes or no answer. No need to be a nutsack about it.