you WON'T look like a DORK!

EyeBlog, or "Quit lookin' at me!" -- camera-glasses that can tell when someone is staring at the ridiculous gargoyle contraption on your face, and record video only when you're being stared at.

1. lars_larsen says:

I dont know why ANYONE would stare at THAT!

2. music4asoul says:

If this is for paranoid people who think everyone looks at them then at least they'll be proved right by wearing this...

3. kespernorth says:

I'll wait for the LiveShades...

4. baconmonkey says:

ECSGlasses and eyeBlog are a video recording and publishing system that responds to human social interaction.

I'm kinda amused at how it seems that the latest puzzling piece of technology for geeks to try and hack is human socialisation. For example, all the things like Tribe, Orkut, etc. serve to quantify social relationships.

5. Dr. Steve Mann has been running around with fully covert EyeTap (both camera and display) glasses for quite some time and doing more interesting stuff than just blogging video. More info at: and

You can buy off the shelf pinhole NTSC cameras embedded in sun glasses and they look perfectly normal. Granted, you don't have the IR emitting scheme to determine when to record, but then that's what the little button in your pocket is for.

• stenz says:

I've actually been thinking of a series of performance art pieces based on his sort of work ever since I first saw it (more than 5 years ago for me). What better way to try to convey what you are seeing then to record your experience. Even more so if someone is given the experience without an initial request... but that is a whole different discussion I guess.

You can't get much more voyeuristic than actually seeing things through someone else's eyes - watching the experience as they do.
      Very much like Strange Days too I guess.

It would be interesting to have a photo from the person's perspective like that, but then also have a camera mounted looking at the person as well, so you could see their reaction to the experience as well.
      Of course, the ridiculous and obvious cameras all over would taint the "real" of the emotion and experience.

6. gths says:

I guess I'm going to have to be the first to make the obligatory Snow Crash reference about gargoyles. *Sigh*

7. greatbiggary says:

I want to see a pair of glasses with a cam that can see an entire 180, but also watches the wearer's pupil movement and moves it's center of view accordingly. Then you could not only watch what a person was watching, but exactly what they were focusing on. By having a 180° lens, software or embedded hardware could do the re-centering. Obviously, it wouldn't record the hemisphere - it would just be available to the camera so it could instantly change viewpoints to anywhere in the wearer's field of view. It would record a standard 3:4 tv slice of the world centered on your focal point. Or HDTV if you have to have all the new stuff.

I'm guessing it would be more dizzying than an amateur birthday party video, but it would also be neat for sake of science to see just how many women's asses I unwittingly and shamelessly ogle in a single day, especially while driving around LA.

• luserspaz says:

This technology can never come to be, because my girlfriend would kill me the first time she saw any video from my point of view.

8. marcus132 says:

Doesn't it seem like an obvious design flaw to mount your eye contact activated camera in a pair of opaque sunglasses?