Brood X: Crunchy, Red-Eyed Asparagus Nuggets, and/or Flying Hershey Kisses

The largest group of periodical cicadas, known as Brood X, will crawl out of the ground soon and carpet trees along the eastern United States.

Cicadas spend most of their lives underground sucking sap from tree roots. The plant-based diet gives them a green, asparagus-like flavor.

The only consequence of cicada feasting that Kritsky is aware of is overindulgence ... "Just imagine how you would react if inundated with thousands of flying Hershey Kisses," Kritsky said. "You might go nuts. I'd go nuts. That's what happens to dogs or squirrels."

The insects are best eaten just after the nymphs break open their skin and before their exoskeleton turns black and hard, cicada aficionados say. These newly hatched cicadas are called tenerals. The next best menu item is adult females. Their bellies are fat and full of nutritious eggs. Adult males, however, offer little to eat. More crunch than munch, their abdomens are hollow.

(previously-noted egregious simile abuse)

Tags: , ,

1. hepkitten says:

why? why do i have to have these images in my head? :(

2. revsphynx says:

Would you like me to send you a box of them?

I dug up a bunch of grubs this weekend.

3. kraquehaus says:

I just want to know where to get the bugs. Haven't really seen any fluttering around... I really want to start cooking some bugs; cheap and tasty.

The stir fried crickets I had at Typhoon were really good. Reminds me of little tiny softshell crab....

4. mavra_chang says:

Found you off Warren Ellis's LJ and I just wanted to say I love your icons. (:

And since I live in Ohio, we'll be bombarded by cicadas in a few. Very fun. (:

'Bye now!

5. blossomer says:

There are a number of well-illustrated (with lurid photos) insectivore cookbooks on the market. I once gave this one and another to a survivalist friend of mine who thinks nice fat grubs popped live right into his mouth are "tasty and creamy."

6. teko says:

The crazy thing about running across this post is that I've been friends with Gene Kritsky and his wife Jessee Smith for many years, and for a long time just knew him as "the bearded bug guy who comes to our Buffy the Vampire Slayer parties". It's only later that I realized he was a top authority on cicadas, as well as Joss Whedon shows.

7. flipzagging says:

Apparently, like the Macintosh OS, that's a roman numeral.

Which is too bad, because "Brood X" (pronounced like the letter) sounds so cool.

8. lars_larsen says:

I told my mom the 17 year cicada swarm was coming, without mentioning any of these articles about chicken mcnuggets or hershy's kisses.

And the first thing out of her mouth was "I hear they're good for eating".