Brad added a page that returns a list of images referenced in recent LiveJournal posts; to test this out, WebCollage is currently displaying only images from LJ. It looks to be a pretty good source so far!
Tags: , , , ,

1. bifrosty2k says:

I think <lj user="baconmonkey"> is right, it really is CamWhore collage now :)

The absolute best part is that the feed doesn't hide images from friends only posts/etc.

2. king_mob says:

Far less cocks than usual.

3. romulusnr says:

i need to write a program that takes a random word from /usr/dict/words and then randomly displays the results from google image search.

• charles says:

There's still room for doing something original with the idea. I remember a fun tool that I've since lost the URL for that did random Google image searches based on the filename formats of various popular digital cameras.

You're thinking of the Random Personal Picture Finder.

WebCollage used to feed random numbers into Google image search, and that worked pretty well, but then Google got all pissy at me.

It's pretty straightforward to hack WebCollage so that it uses a small set of custom words, but in my experience, it doesn't work as well as you might expect (lots of dups.)

4. pathwalker says:

Using LJ as a source for images for a script to play with tends to be pretty uneven - sometimes it picks up good things, but there are long droughts.

A month or so ago, I was playing with the idea of a script pulling down the ljlatest page, and mixing together a random selection of the images that had just been posted in the past minute or so.

My plan was, you hit the link, and it grabs and assembles images posted right then.

I discovered that:

• I could count on about 10% of the servers timing out when I tried to fetch the image.
    • Another 15-20% of people post the entry before they bother uploading the images to the server.
    • Only a few people tried using non-graphic files as an image
    • Sometimes the script has over 100 images to pick from, but often only 10 or so, and many times one lone quiz result sitting all alone.
    • There are too many people out there writing (and illustraiting) fiction about donning a fursuit, and traveling to Castle Hogwarts, so they can have sex with Hagrid.
  5. dingodonkey says:

I thought that this was an amazing idea, and even had it up on my other monitor for a little while.

Damn that goatse for ruining the fun! Damn it to hell!

6. boymaenad says:

I was really digging it when it was showing lj only; any plans to create something (an option? another page?) that sticks to LJ?

if I could run this as a screensaver with those options, I think that'd be best. forgive me if there's an info page about this stuff, but I couldn't find it.

7. asan102 says:

I see you've updated webcollage to blend the edges of the photos together to make a more collage-y look. Very nice.

Yeah, I just did that today. I'm not sure if I like it yet; it might need some more tweaking.

It's fading out a 20% border around each image; it was linear, but I just changed it to sine. The edges still look a little abrupt to me, though.

8. dethtonge says:

I think it's a cool idea except for the load it puts on the LJ users' servers, since a lot of people out there have similar ideas to this one.

I posted some photos yesterday from some flying I did last weekend and my server got completely nailed for about two minutes as soon as I clicked "Update".