"This is my iceberg; it belongs to me."

Iceberg Painted Red:

An artist with 780 gallons of red paint, three fire hoses and a 20-member crew at his disposal went to Greenland in search of a blank canvas large enough to accommodate his creative impulse. The result is a blood-red iceberg now sitting off the country's western coast.

"We all have a need to decorate Mother Nature because it belongs to all us," Danish artist Marco Evaristti said Thursday. "This is my iceberg; it belongs to me."

[...] Evaristti, who was born in Chile, drew widespread attention -- and disdain -- when he displayed 10 working blenders filled with goldfish in a Danish gallery in 2000. He invited guests to turn the devices on and someone did, grinding up a pair of goldfish. The gallery director was tried on charges of animal cruelty, but acquitted.

1. loosechanj says:

Oh yeah? Well I used the same iceberg, and when *I* was done it didn't look like a fuckin' maxi pad!

2. psymbiotic says:

What a maroon!

Egan >:/

3. ronbar says:

Some people are completely fucking useless.

He didn't even paint it all the way down to the water line.

• jace says:

I guess he was trying to be environmentally conscious.

• daltong says:

Problem is: icebergs MELT.

• denshi says:

from the article:
          The team sprayed the iceberg with the same dye used to tint meat, diluted with sea water, Evaristti told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from Ilullissat, which means "Icebergs" in Greenlandic.

'bout as toxic as your lunch.

• chuckm says:

Hahaha! Wht a brilliant choice of materials. Me thinks the meat industry may not want them to argue that point too loudly.

4. madeleine says:

"We all have a need to decorate Mother Nature because it belongs to all us,"

yeah well it's mine too and I don't want anyone putting stinking polluting paint on it.

Let's put him in a blender for art's sake.

5. caitlinburke says:

How about the need to decorate busses and subways cars? I mean, I pay taxes -- they belong to me. Or government buildings, for that matter. Or the street, or a public park.

Can you imagine what would happen if 20 kids on skateboards showed up with 780 gallons of paint anywhere?

Sounds like we need to install those spray-can detectors all OVER the damn place -- and add a setting for firehose.

• billemon says:

So what is going to happen when they show up at the back door of the DNA Lounge with 780 gallons of red food colouring?

• photwenny says:

That's, what, 39 gallons each? So about 500lb of paint (how much does a gallon of paint weigh? more than water, right?), and fairly hefty skater to hold all that paint. On a skateboard. Oh yeah. 20 of them. That's a lot of momentum with no brakes.

Open up all 780 cans and send the kids down Lombard Street. That'd be a hell of an art project (though it might seriously piss off the residents).

• caitlinburke says:

They can always pick up those off-road boards, with the fat wheels and hand brakes. I have to admit, this is starting to sound like something I would pay to watch.

6. king_mob says:

7. bumponalog says:

Can I hope the paint was at least biodegradable?

8. pinkfu says:

I do this with an ice cube tray, water and food colouring.

9. rsdio says:

This only would have been funny if he had used cherry syrup.

• then all we gotta do is crush it up and we'll have ourselves some good ol' icees! but seriously, that's retarded as hell...who in their right mind decides to dump paint on an iceberg? and environment doesn't belong to any of us you dumbnut. if you want to show your appreciation for nature, paint a picture or talk about it for god's sake...don't throw toxic paint in mother nature's water...get a life and some more less harmful ideas. im getting dumber just thinking about why anyone would want to do something as stupid as that. what point where you trying to mak? that you are selfish and just by claiming some ice, people would give you respect? ha!

10. lherrera says:

Evaristti, who was born in Chile [...]
    Oh, that should explain it all.