Sin City movie

This strikes me as perhaps not the best idea ever:

"Robert Rodriguez is already at work directing a big-screen version of Frank Miller's black-and-white comic-book series Sin City, according to Variety. The trade paper reported that Josh Hartnett [The Faculty] and Marley Shelton [Valentine] are starring in the film and have shot the opening sequence in advance of a full shoot slated to begin in March, with Miller on board as co-director."
Tags: ,

1. jacen says:

Miller's involvement might save it but I fully expect it to be another typical Rodriguez cheesey gun-fest full of melodrama and silly over the top action and it is really hard to imagine Hartnett as ANY character from the series.

2. greyface says:

Isn't Josh Hartnett a little... you know... small? Like... human sized and stuff? (If they use the same CG that they did for The Hulk, I may become violently ill.) Well, I guess that will be left for special effects folk. *grumble*

3. crs says:

"They drove a dumptruck full of money up to my house! I'm not made of stone!" -Frank Miller

4. patrick says:

I'm not so sure about this, but apparently the next grand theif auto game is going to be based on the sincity world too. What's with all these upcoming tie-ins to that comic?

There are some pretty cool techniques for rendering 3D so that the result looks like line drawings, so that could be a really interesting looking game if they do it right...

I played one of the GTAs for about twenty minutes and hated it. I spent the whole time just trying not to bump into fire hydrants while just getting from point A to point B.

• patrick says:

If they match the style of the comic, it would be pretty. It would be a departure from the semi real look they have been going for in the past.

Figuring out to drive is part of the fun in that game. And running over the innocent people while trying to figure out how to drive is also part of the fun.

5. loosechanj says:

Why the hell would they make a movie about SimCity?!?

6. cygnus says:

Rodriguez can make enjoyable tongue-in-cheek action movies, yes. I seriously doubt he can make a movie that carries over the grittiness and the dead-pan cynical humor that Miller is known for, especially in Sin City.

And the only way Josh Hartnett could be at all feasible as a casting choice would be to use the reverse of the technique they used for the Hobbits in LotR and make him appear to be twice as big as everyone else on the screen.

Even still, he's NO Marv. Ugh, redux.

7. retardotron says:

This makes me prone to violence.

8. schwa242 says:

Yes, but how are they going to make those swell angular black and white lines and thick black washes fit on Mr. Hartnett just right?

Also, their venetian blind budget's gotta be huge, just for all that mood lighting.

-- Schwa ---

9. xach says:

I guess we'll find out if it was a good idea tomorrow.