"if only MTV had more tits and ass!"

"Uncensored" music video channel:

The channel would feature uncut music videos and original music-flavored programming. Backers believe it could fill a void for those seeking "raw" lyrics and images, creating what one called "more of a free-expression place" than traditional TV outlets. [...]

In a nod to the proposed channel's uncensored content, it is called 1 AM, short for the 1st Amendment. Uncut videos and live concerts and complete song lyrics will distinguish the channel from MTV, which edits language and graphic content. [...]

Universal is pitching the new channel as a joint venture with the Endeavor talent agency, along with the adult-video entrepreneurs behind Vivid Entertainment Group, and Shady Records, the Universal-financed label run by rap superstar Eminem.

Tags: , , ,

1. I'd be all over that like white on rice.

2. evan says:

There's a show on BET (which my friend calls "booty entertainment") that plays the videos that are too racy for daytime TV. I was channel surfing at 1am over christmas and I saw a rap video that scarred me for life. Here's what the interweb has to say about it:

waz up diz ya girl britt ,Has anybody eva seen nelly's uncut video tip drill?!? if u have did u like it? lol.....it came as a shock to me...i mean time tha video came on booty waz all up in da camera....i was like eeeeewwwww.....well tell me wut you think of it. holla!

3. mackys says:

While I'm not at all unhappy about getting a music channel that ACTUALLY PLAYS VIDEOS, I have to take issue with the seeming idea here that somehow because they don't bleep out the cuss words, the channel is automatically going to be spectacular entertainment. If only it were that easy.

• Most entertainment is over-rated anyway. I really wish this whole TV fad thing would pass.

• coldacid says:

I concur. At least, north American programming. I'll die before I give up anime.

• "Most entertainment is over-rated"

that is a curiously odd statement... you're inferring that entertainment is over-rated... as opposed to... not being entertained?

I think that statement was a little too vague.

I hate to break it to you, but TV is likely here to stay until and unless something monumentally more entertaining-- and lucrative-- comes along.

Before you presume I waste my time watching TV, I don't. My TV does not have cable, antenna, or satellite. I use it strictly for the occasional video game or movie. I merely recognize that television is more than just a passing fad, as you seem to think, especially in North America.

There are many channels that actually play videos: MTV2, VH1, Fuse (formerly MuchMusic), BET, CMT. Bitching about "MTV doesn't play videos any more" is so 1992.

And how could I forget VH1-C.

• coldacid says:

You have Much down in the states? Who cares if it comes under a different name your side of the border, that damn Znaimer guy is getting too expansive for my liking.

• belgand says:

MTV2 plays videos again? That aren't just rap?

I've also noticed that VH1 doesn't really do that anymore either. They're more or a generic pop culture sort of network now that will occasionally talk about music or show a concert.

BET and CMT... far too specialized.

Fuse/MuchMusic would play videos I agree, but it's not exactly common. Hell, many of these aren't entirely common beyond MTV. My local cable just finally got around to adding MTV2.

Regardless of the fact that they don't play videos is that when they actually do decide to they rarely play good videos. Now the 24/7 nothing but videos and concerts type channel? That has promise. Lack of censorship would just be icing on the cake.

What do you mean "again"? MTV2 has never played anything but videos. VH1 also plays almost nothing but videos, though often in a "top Foo of Bar" show format.

But, oh, I see, now it's lack of "good" videos! And not "rap". Well that does narrow it down.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not there. I guarentee that you won't like this "uncensored" channel either.

• belgand says:

Admittedly I don't watch it heavily, but MTV2 doesn't seem to be quite "nothing but videos". It's at least all about music.

I don't see very many videos on VH1 though. Most of what I've seen in the past few months have been of the "I Love the 80s" variety and in the past I tended to see more, as you put it "top Foo of Bar" which often resulted in playing short clips of a video while talking about whatever the issue at hand was. I'll see a concert every now and then and Insomniac Music Theater plays videos (as does MTV's... what is it, After Hours?) but "Movies that Rock", "I Love the 80s/70s/80s again" and other programming seems pretty predominant. Going over the schedule the only time I see them showing videos is during their late night block.

As for good, well, I realize it's inherently subjective, but the problem seems to be with a lack of variety. Most of what seems to be on either MTV is either TRL and thus rap-rock/nu-metal or Britney Spears-style teeny-bopper pop or rap. Neither happens to be my cup of tea and that would fine, but there isn't much else offered. I haven't seen a great deal of MuchMusic/Fuse, but they do seem to have a greater degree of variety.

I will try to give MTV2 another chance though.

It's not like there's any variety on radio either, and there are a lot more radio stations than video stations.

I'm sure once radio starts playing a wide variety of music, then video will follow. Ha, ha, ha.

• icis_machine says:

it wasn't spectacular but we called it the box and i learned more than enough about "popping my cootchie" and "erotica" from the box without needing cable or purchasing a single video.

in closing, thank you luke and madonna for teaching me about sex than i could get from a school pamphlet.

• simonb says:

getting a music channel that ACTUALLY PLAYS VIDEOS

Would it be cruel to mention that MTV Dance (Europe only AFAIAA) has been running videos back to back from 6am until 6pm for the past few months ? And by "back to back" they mean it, not even commercials are shown during those twelve hours :)

• erorus says:

MTV Dance? Back-to-back?

That's it, I'm moving to Europe.

• simonb says:

Gets better; there is also a set of music channels called "Music Choice" which just play music - i.e. no videos, DJs or anything else. All you see is a selection menu to choose from 10 different sets of music (things like alternative, dance, etc) which can be selected at any time. The current track being played is also shown.

In total we've got 18 different music channels on the satellite system we use (Sky) which show vidoes, quite a few of which are video on request types of channel. And then there are the 70+ radio stations which are available as well....

Fold in the Sky+ system (think TiVo intergrated with satellite decoder) which can do things like record two different channels at the same time whilst you watch a third programme you recorded earlier and you've got a nice system to play with :)

• erorus says:

Well, of course, most digital cable providers and satellite providers here have that, too. Was handy for parties when we just wanted some background music.

4. willco says:

Nothing speaks truth to power like copious dorsal and ventral cleavage gyrating to booty-resonant frequencies.

5. reify says:

I don't think we'll get more tits & ass; we'll get more liquor & Adidas. As MTV has gotten more lax about cursing (I hear "bitch" as much as I hear e-flat), it's cracked down on liquor and brand references. "gin" and "forty" have replaced "bitch" and "ass" in the 7 dirty words, and hip hop videos have half the screen blurred out to cover corporate logos.

6. gregv says:

Although it's true 90% of the uncensored content would just be gratuitous, there have been some videos in the past that would really benefit from it. I was very happy to find an uncensored version of Nine Inch Nails' Closer on Mark Romanek's web site. I'd like to see Pearl Jam's Jeremy with the original ending that clearly shows their intent, which was that the kid commit suicide in front of the class, and not the blurry and cut version that led people to believe it was a Columbine-type thing. There's a still of it in the page I linked to. Plus there's just the annoyance of all the swear words cut out of hard songs; maybe videos like NIN's StarFuckers Inc. won't be completely neutered.

• down8 says:

Agreed, it's not just the 'gratuitous' stuff that I miss on MTV.

One of my biggest gripes is the bleeping of new-fangled rap slang. It's not just the 7 dirty words anymore. Brands, tv shows, drinks that are perfectly legal, drugs which aren't legal, and random words.

My favorite example: Ja Rule's Clap Back. When the video comes on, it clearly states "Ja Rule: Clap Back" in standard MTV text. But, 'clap' is the new slang for "pop", or "shoot", so it gets bleeped. So, with "clap back" being a repeating part of the chorus, I'd venture to say that at least 30% of the song is bleeped. I don't think that's an exageration. HOW DO YOU SHOW THE TEXT AND THEN BLEEP THE WORD?!

That's the reason I can't listen to the radio or watch MTV anymore: they bleep 1/2 the lyrics. It's just not right.
      -bZj

I assume they bleep all brand images so that they can charge them ad rates for it (or so that competing sponsors don't bitch.) I think that's pretty ridiculous, but I can kind of wrap my brain around their thinking.

I sure would like to see the list of "words you can't say on MTV." It's got to be one long fucking list. I emailed them once and asked, but big surprise, no response.

• down8 says:

The first one that caught me off guard was a Lil' Bow Wow song, where he mentions "Park and 106". MTV bleeped it, since BET has a music show called "106 & Park" - can't go fronting for other networks' shows. My local station does the same thing. they've gone so far as to bleep "ship", b/c it was rhymed with "shit" and sounded too similar (Lil' Kim, I believe) - not sure if MTV got on that train.

-bZj

• unabomber says:

I seem to remember back in the day that in that one Digital Underground song where they say "I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom," they bleeped "Burger King". A friend of mine always thought they said something else there, like "motherfucking," until I told him otherwise.

-J

• gregv says:

Oh, and that reminds me about song titles being censored as well. While "Clap Back" apparently wasn't, Tool's Stinkfist became "Track 1". On Fuse, 36 Crazyfists' Slit Wrist Theory became just "Wrist Theory", which makes no sense at all.

• luserspaz says:

I recently noticed that radio/MTV edits of songs are getting much stranger. For instance, the radio edit of "Get Low" by Lil' Jon (not really a shining example of the genre, but it's catchy) substitutes the line:
        "taking her clothes ooh she naked"
        in place of the original:
        "taking her clothes off, buck-naked".

Does this make any sense to anyone?

For reference:
        Clean version
        Original version

• down8 says:

See, now that I can at least get behind. That's one of the reasons I liked Eminem in the beginning - he stuck funny lyrics in place of the dirty ones for 'clean' air play. But when a song is bleeped (audibly or not), it totally ruins the song. I put some of this on the artist, not just the station playing them. If the artist can't be bothered to make a 'clean' version, when they know damn well the dirty parts won't make it to air, then they're just lazy.

I know, I know, artisitic integrity and all, but a song can have a lot of diff lyrics and still get the point across w/o being bleeped.

-bZj

• down8 says:

Had to dredge this one up.

Watching MTV just now, a G-Unit video, song is title "Poppin' Them Thangs". Presumably because "poppin'" has one slang usage meaning 'shooting', MTV labeled the video as "... Them Thangs", but didn't bleep the word at all, anywhere in the song.

Stranger it gets....

-bZj

7. vxo says:

"uncensored", but it'll probably still require about $20K of payola to an 'independent agent' to get your material on there.... hello, world of commerce