"and they all sing the same refrain: it's fun to take a trip, put acid in your veins"

These drawings are great!

"These 9 drawings were done by an artist under the influence of LSD -- part of a test conducted by the US government during it's dalliance with psychotomimetic drugs in the late 1950's. The artist was given a dose of LSD 25 and free access to an activity box full of crayons and pencils. His subject is the medico that jabbed him."
Tags: ,

1. beerfrick says:

It sure explains this:

2. those are FUCKING AWESOME.

reminds me of this photographer's project i saw like a million years ago, which documented different drugs' effects on these random people who'd never done the particular drug drug before...BUT I CAN'T FIND IT, DAMMIT.

3. cschmidt says:

Do you know where that quote is from originally? I know its from the Supernaut cover by 1000 Homo DJs, but where did they get it? Did Reznor or Jurgenson just say it and it was made to sound old in the mixing, or did they sample some old TV special?

No idea, and the Sample List doesn't know either...

• ivorjawa says:

I seem to recall that the sample is of Art Linkletter, although I can't find any supporting documentation right now.

• pvck says:

I support this statement, though I am not documentation. It was told to me by someone Back In The Day, but now I can't find any support for it. I can tell you, however, that you get some interesting stuff by googling for "Art Linkletter acid homo".

4. anti_tim says:

What I find most interesting is the difference between the second to last drawing and the last one. It was as if he had regressed creatively in the final one.

• nutznboltz says:

It was as if he had regressed creatively in the final one.

You should read Be Here Now. In it Dr. Richard ("Ram Dass") Alpert repeatedly emphasizes that his dissatisfaction with LSD is that when it wears off he would just revert back. Quick excerpt:

It wasn't like I didn't have LSD. I had plenty of LSD, but why take it. I know what it was going to do, what it was going to tell me. It was going to show me the that garden again and then I was going to be cast out and that was it. And I never could quite stay. I was addicted to the experience at first, and then I even go tired of that.

• Or maybe he was just tired. I know most people are, after eight hours of struggling on the edge of hilarity and an inarticulable enlightenment, sometimes combined with constant motion, uncomfortable muscle tension, and a disinclination to eat.

5. Reminds me of the NASA experiment (pdf, sorry) where they dosed spiders with various drugs, and looked at how the spider's web-spinning was affected. Alas, the official study did not cover LSD, although some web sites claim that it did (shocking to think that these fine web journalists could fail to check their sources, isn't it?).

But I suspect that if they tried it, the spiders would be too freaked out to spin. Humans coming out of the walls, man!

6. batmite2000 says:

Welcome to what it's like to be an artist. :)

Obviously the test subject had some 'classical' artistic training. Does that skew the results? Possibly...

7. nicolson says:

Not as creepy as the cat drawings of Louis Wain as he descended into schizophrenia (link link link).

OK, his pre-schizo cat drawings were creepy too.

8. odd97 says:

I'm one of those bastards that has you as a friend, even if I don't recall responding to your requests for an explanation.

*This* post is the reason I list you as a friend.

Plus, I steal money out of your wallet when you sleep. So I thought I'd add you to my friends list as payback.