Mormonstar Galactica

I thought the new Battlestar Galactica movie (sorry, I can't call a two part, 3.2 hour story a "miniseries") was pretty good. Not the most original thing ever, but well done. And it had that rarest of things: spaceships that don't move like fish. It broke new ground in two ways:

• I think it's great that Gaff finally got to waste a replicant on his own.
  • And I don't remember Scorpius ever giving Crichton a hand-job!
Tags: , , , , ,

1. mactavish says:

We whooped, at every battle scene, "Woohoo, Newtonian physics!"

I see they have a video game out already; I wonder if it has realistic physics. Though I suspect that a game where you actually had to pilot against real physics would be almost impossible to play.

• chanson says:

I was thinking of that while I watched. They could probably do some sort of fly-by-wire approach where you'd pilot somewhat like a plane, and the computer would interpret that and translate it as best it could.

Of course actually trying to fly a spacecraft like a plane will probably waste fuel like nobody's business...

• skryche says:

Didn't they do that in later chapters of the Elite series?

• i.e., Elite Frontier? Not really. It has real distances and speeds, but it's not Newtonian. You don't have to worry about transfer orbits, you get an effectively infinite amount of fuel, you can proceed under constant acceleration everywhere, you typically encounter other ships which match velocities with you rather than shooting past at enormous relative velocity, etc.

• kingfox says:

Space Rogue, from Origin back in the day, had real Newtonian physics for the space flight part of the game. Well, it did, but it wasn't on by default. Your ship could either operate under Newtonian mode in a challenging realistic manner, or use the cheap arcade-style flight.

Gravity played a real role in combat. Planets, black holes, stars, and other gravity wells pulled all of the ships. Trying to escape a pack of space pirates was pretty easy when you had a nearby gravity well to slingshot effect off of.

• 21cdb says:

Bank about 20 degrees, hit the afterburners, pull back on the stick: screen goes black. Stays black until you recover. See the ground coming at you. Pull back on the stick. Screen goes black. Impact sometime later.

Eventually you learn some small fraction of real ACM, which is interesting but makes for crummy game.

2. deviant_ says:

And yet, there was still no Aibo named Muffet for Boxey. So dissapointing.

3. loosechanj says:

This new Galacta rocks, simply because it wasn't watered down to 80's ACD. The original was in the same boat as Alf: wonderful concept, 90% water execution. Hell, I like the female Starbuck over the Dirk Benedict version. And if I hadn't happened to catch a strategic scene from the old series the other day, the Adama/Apollo tension would have hit me as a complete surprise. Somethings deserve to be done right.

4. dzm6 says:

I went into the movie with remarkably low expectations. The first two minutes seemed to vindicate them (the text based backstory was really, really bad). But then things began to improve.

By the time the movie was over I was commenting that it was actually quite watchable, at least relative to the standard Sci-Fi drek on TV right now (Can we say "Enterprise"?).

5. rjray says:

And I don't remember Scorpius ever giving Crichton a hand-job!

Took me a few seconds to make the connection on this one.

Then it just hurt...

6. rcr203 says:

Can you believe I am missing the last 10 minutes of the second part? But I'm sure it will be replayed again and again ad naseum.

The whole ship-moving thing I like. It's one of the reasons I liked the space sequences for Starship Troopers.

7. I dunno. I don't remember the original series that well so I was pretty much looking at the tv movie (I agree with you about the "miniseries" thing) on its own.

*Mini Spoilers ahead...*

It didn't really intrigue me too much. Too much of it was just so clichè for sci-fi. When Number 6 told Gaius what was about to happen before the bombings I kept saying to myself "Don't say what have I done? -- DON'T say what have I done? And then, yep, he goes and says it. Arg!

I kept comparing it to the Babylon 5 tv movie that eventually kicked off the series. This show just didn't hold me captivated like B5's intro did. Then it really took 1 1/2 years for B5 to really come into its own so I guess we'll see (assuming they ever move forward with a series).

The 80s series was complete crap; I mean, a comparable-to-Knight-Rider level of crap.

(Incidentally, the Cylon eye-scanner-thingy was the same gadget as the front of Kitt: they re-used the prop.)

However, I thought Babylon 5 was also complete crap. I just don't understand how anyone can say something like, "the show doesn't really get good for a year and a half." People say that about anime all the time: "yeah, the first episode is awful, but it really gets interesting around episode 34." WTF? That means you spent a year and a half watching a show you didn't even like, on the off chance that it might get good some day?

• That means you spent a year and a half watching a show you didn't even like, on the off chance that it might get good some day?

No, I actually enjoyed B5 in the early years (though looking back at old 1st season episodes, I see how rough they were). I wouldn't have kept watching it so long if I didn't enjoy it. However, the show went from a decent sci-fi alternative to incredible and original around season 2. The main story arc began to replace the episodic nature of the first season. The tight arc drove the series forward and gave it something other sci-fi shows lack. It was like watching a novel unfold on the screen -- complete with beginning, middle, and end.

B5's strength was its biggest weakness -- the same cohesive storyline which made it so good was the same thing that turned off new viewers. If you just began watching it in, say, the 3rd season, you'd be totally lost. It would be like starting a novel in the middle. And granted, the first season turned off many viewers who never bothered coming back. Oh well.

(P.S. I'm with you there on Knight Rider. Going back and watching old episodes was a big mistake and just ripped apart a childhood hero of mine)

• cyeh says:

As long as we're dragging out bad 80's sci-fi, lest us not forget Buck Rogers.

• evan says:

"Now, Michael. Do it."
        Michael shifted close to his partner, and pressed himself against the gearshift,
        wrapping both his hands around he and Kitt, joining them within his firm grip.
        With agonising slowness, torturing himself, he dragged his nails down both hard
        shafts. His action brought forth a triumphant cry from his partner. "Oh yeah....
        You like that Kitt? You like it rough?"

Kitt was almost beyond speech. He hadn't expected this from Michael, hadn't
        believed that Michael could possibly find him sexually attractive. But he could
        feel the human organ pressed hotly against his own shaft, and he could feel a
        heat in his circuits that was overwhelming all other functions until those
        sensors had his total and undivided attention.

8. webwench says:

I actually enjoyed it, and I'm hoping it's a season premiere rather than just a 'miniseries'. Of course, I never watched the old one, and so all the discrepancies that freaked my BF, like people's characters changing sexes, the timeline weirdnesses, etc, just didn't strike me as odd at all.

9. transiit says:

I think the best part about this is the anonymous coward on slashdot that implied you were plagiarizing yourself here.