Candyman. Candyman. Candyman. Candyman. Candyman.

Myths Over Miami

This is the secret story shelter children will tell only in hushed voices, for it reveals Bloody Mary's mystery: God's final days before his disappearance were a waking dream. There were so many crises on Earth that he never slept. Angels reported rumors of Bloody Mary's pact with Satan: She had killed her own child and had made a secret vow to kill all human children. All night God listened as frantic prayers bombarded him. Images of earthly lives flowed across his palace wall like shadows while he heard gunfire, music, laughing, crying from all over Earth. And then one night Bloody Mary roared over the walls of Heaven with an army from Hell. God didn't just flee from the demons, he went crazy with grief over who led them. Bloody Mary, some homeless children say the spirits have told them, was Jesus Christ's mother.

"No one believe us! But it's true! It's true!" cries Andre at the Salvation Army shelter on NW 38th Street. "It mean there's no one left in the sky watching us but demons." His friends sitting on the shelter patio chime in with Bloody Mary sightings: She flew shrieking over Charles Drew Elementary School. She stalks through Little Haiti, invisible to police cars. "I know a boy who learned to sleep with his eyes open, but she burned through a shelter wall to get him!" a seven-year-old boy says. "When the people found him, he was all red with blood. Don't matter if you're good, don't matter if you're smart. You got to be careful! If she see you, she can hunt you forever. She's in Miami! And she knows our face.

Tags: ,

1. j_b says:

Freaky. Just four hours ago, I had just seen this Urban Legends flash ( ) and was looking through Snopes for details, searched on "murdered woman", and came upon the Bloody Mary myth (hit #21), read about it, and just told my friends about it an hour ago.

I shall likely be eaten by a grue tonight.

2. vsync says:

Please, this is so several months ago...

Not only that, but the trend has now moved on so far that it's now fashionable to be cynical and annoyed by the story.

I didn't get the memo. I still think it's a good story, though.

Kuro5hin is super-fucking-irritating. Or maybe I have it confused with Advogato. No wait, they're both super-fucking-irritating. "Like Slashdot, but with more self-importance!"

3. spoonfeeding says:

i love that song. woot!

4. kiad says:

A friend of mine showed this story to me last year- I currently have a copy printed out on my door. It really affected me- and I was wondering if anyone was going to make a play out of it. Unfortunately..

taken from the Hollywood Reporter vol. CCCLXIV, No. 45
    Thursday Sept. 21, 2000

'Bloody' pickup for Touchstone
    by Cathy Dunkley and Greg Hernandez

The Walt Disney Co.'s Touchstone Pictures paid $350,000 against $750,000 to pick up the dark psychological thriller pitch "Bloody Mary" by Silvio Horta ("Urban Legend"). "Hellraiser" creator Clive Barker will produce.

Horta will write the script, which was inspired by a nonfiction article in the Miami New Times three years ago. The article written by Lynda Edwards, deals with the urban legend of Bloody Mary, a monstrous, vengrful bogeywoman who snatches the souls of children and lives in the supernatural plane between reality and illusion.

Although other films have been based on a similar type of urban legend, the project has been described as more sophisticated than such horror fims as "Candyman" and "Hellraiser" and deals with a theme similar to "The Sixth Sense." The story explores the way human imagination deals with fear.

The project was pitched by Horta and Barker's Seraphim Films executives Joe Daley and Renee Rosen to Mark Vahradian, executive vp production at Buena Vista Motion Picture Group, which oversees the Touchstone label.

Shortly after, Neil Gaiman mentioned it in his blog. I suppose it is now slightly popular- but strangely hated. When I first printed out the copy on my door, I showed it around, and people were unimpressed. "This isn't even news, why would a newspaper publish this?" And this coming from a literature student! Bitches, the lot of them!

Anyone who would lump "Hellraiser" and "Candyman" together in the same breath, especially as compared to "The Sixth Sense", must not have seen any of them!

I like all three, but the only way you could raise Sixth Sense above the other two is if you had some prejudice against the others for not being from a "serious" director or something.

Hellraiser was just a splatter movie -- it was very good at it, but didn't try to be more. However, Candyman was far more complex than The Sixth Sense. Sixth Sense only had one trick. There really wasn't much going on at all. Candyman had a lot more going on, and way more memorable characters.

I hope Barker producing means he'll actually be involved, instead of merely funding it, because in that case, it might actually make a good movie.

"Urban Legend" sucked ass. It was as bad as... "Candyman 2".

• kiad says:

I think that the point of mentioning them all together is "you've heard of them all, and they made all of their producers and investors rich. Join us in this movie that is very similar, and you will become similarly rich."

Candyman is one of my favourite horror flicks. With a "holy crap it's Kronos Quartet!" soundtrack that still scares me. If he could pull off the amazing story of this newspaper article, I'd be in bliss.

• greyhame says:

Hm, I wouldn't have guessed from my vague memories of the Candyman ad campaign that it had actually been any good--I guess I'll have to check it out. I love the Hellraiser movies--the first was genuinely creepy, and I still love the second, fourth and fifth despite their being laughably bad. I guess there's a sixth one out now, and a seventh and eighth in production (according to the last time I checked IMDB), and I doubt they'll be any good either.

• I felt a little ambivalent about the article: I was fascinated and moved, and thankful to be able to read it, but it seemed like a bit of a betrayal, considering that the kids repeatedly emphasized that their lore was secret and must not be shared outside the community. One can make all sorts of mitigating arguments for the value of anthropology, but I think a big-budget national motion picture is pretty clearly not what the kids had im mind when they told their stories to the reporter.

Also, I hope there's a suitable new-asshole-ripping in the media if Disney doesn't turn a big chunk of the profits for this film over to the community of the kids whose total screwing-over in life it's based on.

• dreamingkat says:

I got the sense that the kids kinda knew that the information was going to grown ups - and therefore everything they said was going to tainted and bandied around and I can't find the right word for it... like they knew they could be giving this information to the demons themselves.... Notice that the secret name of the blue lady was never told - and someone had to know it. The stories were missing something - I think they were missing the truly secret parts....

its odd how similar that is to things I dreamt up as a relatively rich kid in southern california. The only thing I have in common with those kids is that we were outcasts.

• Notice that the secret name of the blue lady was never told - and someone had to know it.

Really? Just like _someone_ has to know the secret name of YHWH?

• dreamingkat says:

[impish grin] Well, I would hope that YHWH knows it, so he can recognize when someone calls it, but I know he doesn't count. I think there was a legend about Lillith using the true/secret name of YHWH but I don't know much mythology, and sometimes I confuse recent stories with old mythologies.

On a more serious note, isn't that something that really good Kabbalahists learn or something like that? (I don't study Kabbalah, but that seems like where that sorta thing would fall.)

I did think about it more though and I can remember trusting adults more than I should have with secret stuff as a kid. Even when they believed me, they never seemed to understand that what I was telling them was important. So I never ended up telling them anything really secret. Even the shrinks / therapists.

I agree though that if anyone makes a buttload of money off of these stories, they should give a good chunk of it to help homeless kids.

5. baconmonkey says:

what I get a kick out of, is how it's presented as a piece on superstition, when the beliefs are actually a bit more plausible than the notion that a brutally vengeful supremely powerful desert entity created everything, and eventually, after murdering it's own, previously unmentioned offspring, suddenly loves everyone and everything, protects those who nag it endlessly with requests and reminders, and will eternally reward those jurors who do believe it actually guilty of filicide.

6. kallisti says:

Take, for example, this quote:

"From his hiding place around the corner of the building, Magnus watched as the boy Elio tried to put a brave face on things, and failed. He hugged himself tightly, his heart beating in fear, watching the other boy. Bloody Mary-La Llorona-the Crying Woman. Now he had a name for the woman he'd seen." excerpt from _Mad Maudlin_ by Mercedes Lackey & Rosemary Edghill, Baen Books. 2003

I'm sure that they heard about it years ago...and it is a main plot device in the if you like the story, this weaves a wonderful tale around the myth.