RFID will stop terrorists!

RFID will stop terrorists!
Experts estimate industry could save billions of dollars each year in inventory and logistical costs with RFID. Trouble is, privacy advocates see RFID as a massive invasion of privacy. They say the technology would let retailers, marketers, governments or criminals scan people -- or even their houses -- and ascertain what they own.

To win the hearts and minds of consumers, retailers and food and drug companies may portray the technology as an antiterrorist tool. They say the technology can help them keep precise track of all goods and help in recall efforts should their products be contaminated or laced with poison during a terrorist attack. [...]

They also may get legal protection under the Safety Act of 2002 -- a tort-reform law that offers blanket lawsuit protections to makers of antiterrorism devices, should those devices fail during a terrorist attack.

"If we get a declaration from Homeland Security that this is the step we need to take to protect the food supply, that's the step it will take to move this technology forward," said Procter & Gamble supply-chain executive Larry Kellam at an RFID industry conference in June. [...] "We have been working with legislators to make sure the right regulations are in place to make RFID tags commercially feasible," said Stephanie Childs, a spokeswoman for the Grocery Manufacturers of America, which lobbied on behalf of the food and drug companies and retailers.

Tags: , ,

1. flim_flam says:

Time to buy lots of Tupperware.

2. sabinablue says:

Another use for duct tape?

3. elainegrey says:

Now looking for an RFID detector that can be used to remove the damn things.

Or are they security devices that are illegal for me to remove?

grumble

• selectronica says:

I heard that if you get the Tom's of Maine toothpaste sampler, you can use the new Fennel Toothpaste tube that you get in the pack to neutralize all RFIDs in your purchases.

It's easy, just anytime you buy something run the tube like a wand over everything you purchase (I'd recommend doing this on some sort of public transportation system, or even in a cab, just so they have a hard time tracking what you are doing) and vwah-lah- any of these evil devices on anything you baought will be neutralized and free of any ability to scan you or the contents of your home and you may safely take them home.

• baconmonkey says:

look, if you're going to be unpatriotic like that and interfere with the anti-terrorism tracking tags, we'll just have to surgically implant a few in you so we can keep track of where you are.

• selectronica says:

Unpatriotic? Unpatriotic?!?

< sniff > I am shocked and offended at the implication!

Besides, it weren't me what done made the toothpaste-disabler. It were someone else.

...we'll just have to surgically implant a few in you so we can keep track of where you are.

Ha! I do believe that would be the only way anyone could ever keep track of me. And even then, I'm not so sure I'd want the job. (Of keeping track of me, that is. I don't even know where I'm going or where I've been half the time. :] < - most innocent smile of which I am capable )

n.p. Killing Joke - Millenium

4. kyronfive says:

You've got to be joking.

5. willco says:

To defend against lawsuits, they'd have to demonstrate that government invasion of your privacy was a terror attack.

6. I never considered the implications of these things before -- thieves scanning your house for goods. Consumers are going to need to get their own scanners now, to see if somebody outside their house is holding a scanner.. in fact, it could be built into their security system, which would then automatically start shooting poison blow-darts at them.

And THAT, is how you stop terorism.

7. billemon says:

Welcome to the Corporate States of America ;)

8. macguyver says:

How long before the handheld EMP cannon is a must have?