today in robot master news: ED-209

Gladiator Tactical Unmanned Ground Vehicle

"A new unmanned robot with lots of weapons will be used as soon as 2007 by the Marine Corps to control angry crowds, reports the Honolulu Advertiser from Camp Smith, Hawaii."

Sgt. Arnold Den Beste, a military policeman at Kane'ohe Bay, said it took him about five minutes to learn how to drive the vehicle. "It's a very easy machine to operate," he said. "It's like a video game. You have a joystick and you drive it forward, backward, right or left."

The target cost for the Gladiator is $150,000.

Tags: , ,

1. patrick says:

It's robocop!

2. kyronfive says:

welcome to earth, E.D. 209!!!

3. greyhame says:

I can only assume they'll be mounting the previously-mentioned 10-kilojoule lasers on these new combat robots.

4. ralesk says:

That /thing/ looks very, very familiar...  If I only knew where have I seen something like it.

Anyway, the quote brought http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=archives&date=2003-06-07 to my mind.

• slithytove says:

Well, yeah, it's straight out of Battletech, or Gundam. Look at those huge legs, for example. Japanese giant robots originally had huge legs apparently because it helped the toys marketed with the TV shows to stand up without falling over. I guess it helps real robots maintain their balance more easily, too.

I'll be more impressed when we start sending things into battle that look like Eva's.

I dunno how useful this thing will be. It looks awfully easy to knock off its feet with a grenade or satchel charge, or even a rocket propelled grenade, which Iraq seems to be stocked to the gills with.

• ammonoid says:

Uhh, it looks like the SKYNET robots from Terminator.

5. giles says:

Please put all pictures behind a cut.

You have 20 seconds to comply.

6. violentbloom says:

tell me again why it's better to drive a robot into a crowd and shoot them instead of just gassing them? Seems like gas is cheaper and doesn't put holes in things...I mean if you're going to kill them anyway.
    But robots are cool nevertheless.

7. unabomber says:

Just make sure during the demo that you aren't the dude with the gun threatening the robot.

-J