happy slack day to me

As of today, I've been unemployed for four years.

(Where I define "employed" as, you know, "getting paid" instead of "hemorrhaging money".)

Tags: ,

1. vincel says:

I know I'm asking for trouble here, but: have you thought of leveraging the dnalounge.com site? (Shit, I really did use the word "leveraging." Someone please kick me in the head, quick.)

I know how you feel about portals, but the site must attract a fair amount of traffic. Other than the sale of t-shirts, you can't be making any money off it.

In fact, running the webcasts is a big part of the hemorrhaging to which I referred.

How would you have me make money off the web site? Ads? Subscriptions? Please, none of that shit has worked for anybody since 1998.

• inoshiro says:

Or some other gov't sponsored thing. That way you can claim the losses vs. your business taxes at the end of the year, if possible.

• vincel says:

So why continue the webcasts? Do you think they really help bring in punters?

"Bloody-minded unwillingness to admit defeat"? It's not a good reason, but I don't have a better one.

• jrust says:

Basic promotion. I personally listen to the webcasts, and think they're slick as hell. That simple fact pushed me to tell a friend of mine who just moved to San Francisco that he had to go to the DNA Lounge when he got a free weekend. "Why?" he asks me. "You know, they're the place that does the sweet webcasts." Aforementioned friend nods knowingly and agrees to go.

I'm an 18 year old girl from Kansas that shouldn't know the first thing about San Francisco nightlife. But through LiveJournal, the website, and the webcasts, I do.

The webcasts are not the number one thing that brings in people. I know that as well as anyone. But if it's not a huge financial drain, then I guess the best question I have to offer is "Why not?" Just my $.02.

I get a lot of positive feedback on the webcasts, but it's almost exclusively from people who live in the ass-end of nowhere, not the Bay Area. I doubt they do anything to put bodies in the club: quite possibly they do the opposite.

• I doubt they do anything to put bodies in the club: quite possibly they do the opposite.

why? is it that you think that, if you provide it, people really prefer to sit on their fat arses at home and listen to the webcast rather than attending the club?

that would be lame, if it were so.

• nicolson says:

Actually, listening to the Februrary Affliction webcast motivated me to attend the March Affliction event, which I otherwise would not have been interested in.

• tfofurn says:

If it's not putting bodies in the building, maybe it's putting t-shirts on backs? I'm sure the profit on a two-drink visitor beats the pants off of the profit from a t-shirt, but I'm grasping at straws here.

Either that, or you could start offering a subscription-based message board for DNA research. You certainly get enough accidental hits!

• ciphergoth says:

Some time ago, you did a "webcasts: soldier on or give up?" rant on dnalounge.com. Frankly, I found the "give up" case entirely convincing. What was it tipped you towards the "soldier on" side?

I'd link to the rant, but I can't find it; practically every page of "DNA sequencing" contains the word "webcasts", usually because of some trouble you've had with them.

You could justify a stance of "I'll start doing webcasts again when I can do it using only open source software" on both idealistic and pragmatic grounds.

• icis_machine says:

well, i think if you just started your own "naked jwz interactive chat" cam, you'd make money. it would also help if you were a hot russian chick.

turn offs: webcasts, drunken yuppies, hardware, windoze, idiot sound people, oontz oontz oontz

turn ons: N/A

• cyeh says:

A lot of the streaming websites I listen to merely ask for donations.

"If you like what you hear and the service is valuable, please drop 10 bucks into my PayPal account."

Seems to me that would be the best of both worlds. You're not charging per se and yet you have some vaguish notion that you're slowing the blood loss.

• uke says:

Donations keep SomaFM operating. I'm sure Rusty would be glad to talk with you (Jamie) about it. Your situation is at least slightly different though, because your webcasts are affiliated with a commercial enterprise and SomaFM isn't.

• flipzagging says:

Web portals! (head slap) Surefire goldmine, baby!!!

The only question is, what does the Super Bowl ad say?

2. inoshiro says:

Because at some point, you must break even... right?

I think you've done well so far. In my current city (Saskatoon), night clubs seem to change on a weekly basis. That you've held on as long as you have is a sign of something special, I hope.

3. cessibaby says:

i can proudly say that at 23 years old, i've never worked a 40hr work week, i've never had a "real" job, and i've also never made more than $800 a month, go go gadget aversion to the american way

4. moof says:

I'm infinitely grateful to you for creating a source for (and then subsidizing) a whole lot of SF culture.

5. papawheelie says:

You could just think about it as Jamie's big wealth redistribution project....

6. seattlesque says:

Hmmm. Highly intelligent technical person left to their own metrics of success for FOUR years? Sounds like a descent into madness. My streak is at 19 months, and they still wanna lock the æ-dog up and throw away the key.

Got psychiatric records? I'll show you mine if you show me yours...