wrist phone

"Recently Samsung announced the availability of their Wrist Phone at the CeBit 2003.

The Wristomo Wrist Phone unique design lets users transform it into a handset. The phone supports web browsing with up to 64kbps. Wristomo can receive and transmit Emails with maximum size of 3,000 characters. The Watch can synchronize with MS Outlook via a data cable. The size of the Wrist Phone is 171.5x40.4x18.5mm, and it's weight is 113g. It is even water-proof. It supports continous talk-time for 120min. and 200 min. standby. Price expected to be 50,000yen."

Tags: , ,

1. jfedor says:

It's cool and all, but 113g? My normal cellphone weighs 80g. You would think they would try to make it smaller/lighter if it's supposed to pass as a wristwatch. The one from Samsung is a bit lighter.

Besides, I've seen such things announced many times, but I haven't seen any of them in retail.

Still pretty cool, though.

I hadn't seen one that put the keypad on the "band". I thought that was the cool part. (I guess I ought to let that internal dialog out every now and then.)

• jfedor says:

Yeah, I think that's new.

The ones I saw before didn't have a normal dialpad at all (I can't see on the pictures if the buttons on the band have digits on them, but their number suggests that they can be used as a dialpad).

For example this wristphone from Siemens:

only seems to have four buttons on the sides (plus the red/green buttons used to start/end a call). I imagine it's enough to pick an entry from the phonebook, but entering a new number could be non-intuitive. (Well, I guess it can't be worse than entering text messages using a dialpad.)

The phone you linked to is also different in that you're supposed to take it off to talk. The others use external headsets that you plug into the phone, or wireless, like the Siemens one above. From the looks of it I also think it can work in loudspeaker mode, which is good in the sense that you don't need any extra equipment, but bad if you don't want other kids on the bus overhear your conversation. I also recall reading about a technology that required you to put your finger in the ear to talk (I shit you not).

• jfedor says:

Or maybe this one can't use a wireless mic, I don't know. The Samsung one from the article you linked to has Bluetooth, so it probably can.

2. forthdude says:

"Wristomo"? Who named this thing, Professor Farnsworth?

3. ciphergoth says:

I don't believe in this sort of approach - the form factors you need for browsing the web, taking a call or wearing on your wrist are all completely different. I want a separate device for each form factor, all connected by Bluetooth or IP over skin.

Compare to Motorola's concept design. (the glades are cute, though I can't really believe we'll all be wearing them any time soon.) They don't quite get it right, though; here's what I really want.

A big mother Palm-style PDA with a hard drive for MP3s and a cellphone connection built in talks to a lightweight wristwatch and lightweight headset. Anything complex like browsing the web, writing a text or entering a new phone number, you do on the PDA, where the display is relatively big and rich so it doesn't drive you mad. The headset has headphones so you can use it to listen to music and take calls.

The watch you use for simple things well suited to a small display and few controls, like: who is calling me? (similar - missed calls etc) / make a call from the address book / volume control / music selection / alarm for current appointment / receive SMS / send prefab SMS / time and date (duh!) / maybe activate voice recognition (of the basic sort my phone already has).

Some headsets could include phone-quality cameras. All Transmet readers know that eye-level-mounted cameras are The Way. Tap your watch, say "snapshot", it takes a photo. Tap the watch again, tell it to whom the photo is to be sent. Transparent society here we come...

4. jcurious says:

the standby only buys you 80min? So to use this all the time you'd have to find yourself charging it every 3 hours-ish?

5. ronbar says:

I mean Dick Tracy was gay. Just look at his name.

But this wrist phone is pretty gay too. It gets even gayer with the Outlook-syncing and the PDA features.

All I want is a decent phone for $40 that is phone-shaped, works like a phone, and pretty much is just a phone. And I want to be able to put normal AAA batteries in it, rechargeable or otherwise. Proprietary battery packs are the bane of portability. Cordless phone manufacturers finally got a clue; why don't cell phone and laptop manufacturers?