only faith can give your life meaning

A Lebanese Shi'ite Muslim mother helps her son beat himself with a sword during a ceremony of Ashoura held in Nabatiyeh, March 13, 2003. Shiites in Lebanon commemorate the killing of Imam Hussein, grandson of the Prophet Mohammed, by his rival over 1,400 years ago. More than 150,000 Lebanese packed the streets of Beirut's southern suburbs on Thursday, chanting 'Death to America,death to Israel,' in a mass rally called by Lebanon's Hizbollah guerrilla group. REUTERS/Jamal Saidi

Shiite Muslim men cut their heads with swords during the annual ritual to mark Ashoura Day in the southern Lebanese town of Nabatiyeh, on Thursday March 13, 2003. Hundreds of Shiites in south Lebanon marked the 7th century killing of their most revered saint Imam Hussein, by slashing their heads with blades on the occasion known as Ashoura. Al Hussein was a grandson of Islam's Prophet Mohammed and is a symbol of martydrom for Shiite Muslims. (AP Photo/Mohammed Zaatari)
Tags: ,

1. ralesk says:

Humans and their infinite ideas of how to mutilate or just plain hurt their bodies.

Stupid humans...

• kaiaphas says:

hi, you dont know me, a friend posted a link to this article.

but yeah, i dont see why all of you seem to think that its so stupid. if you arnt a muslim, then i dont think that you really have any room to talk. each culture in the world is going to have its own relative sense of whats right and wrong, whats unacceptable and what isnt, and obviously what you believe is right or wrong doesnt match up to what these muslims believe.

and i mean, hey , its just a little blood.

• ralesk says:

Interesting view.  Can we be objective for a moment?
           It's a little blood of a CHILD and the possibility of serious illness, brain damage or even death.
           While I do love different cultures, there is a limit of what I can endure.  And the /severe/ harming of a minor's body and/or psyche is not among these.  It also isn't among the endurable things of the Universal Charta of Child Rights.
           I couldn't care less in who they believe or who they worship, or how they write, or what their skin colour is, or what language it is.  It's all beautiful and diverse.  Quite a LOT of traditions are fantastic and rather amusing to watch.  And if an adult harms themself and themself only, GO ON PLEASE, I don't care, you do whatever you want to your body and mind.  But when a child is harmed for whatever stupid or not-stupid reasons, that's a big sin in my eyes.  As is in the eyes of the UN.

I'll lightly point out a "tradition" that is practised in your country, and by Arabs as well, to stay at the people --- but I shan't name it.  It also doesn't follow the rules of the human and child right chartas.

• kaiaphas says:

actually, i think you brought up an interesting point to when you said it was the blood of a child. now, yeah, i would agree with you, i wouldnt want to see children in our culture treated like this, but you have to remember, in that boy's culture, its expected, its obviously celebrated. nothing really has importance, such as keeping a child physically safe, until you apply importance to it. therefore, i dont really think we can be objective, simply because there is no objective super-culture out there (despite what some Baptists might think:)). the UN provides these human rights charters, but i think that they were created more with the intention of stopping unwarranted abuses of human rights. in this case, the child is taking part of it voluntarily, because it agrees with his view of the universe that his cultural framework has set up for him. hmmm, transversly, i could compare this to a lot of those american teens that go down to cancun to drink when they are 16. thats a potentially dangerous thing to do, but its accepted in our cultures (or obviously parents wouldnt permit it or teachers would warn of the dangers) and even celebrated (look at the mtv coverage of spring break). but to muslims, giving minors alcohol and the opportunity to have anonymous casual sex has to be as shocking and outrageous as that child participating in the march was to you. its not just how you look at it, but who and where and when, you know?

2. interimlover says:

yet again proving that Islam is fundamentally a Satanic religion.

3. brad says:

If ever there were a use for this AOLism: OMFG!

4. bdu says:

mmmm, hungry.

5. osi says:

i watched a video on that in seventh grade.

6. compwiz says:

braaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiins

7. baconmonkey says:

I wonder how many of them have AIDS?

• node says:

Close to none -- unofficial figures for HIV infections range around 3,000 (for a population of maybe 3.5 million). Only 40% of the population is Shia.
      In general, Muslim countries have negligible HIV infection rates.

8. osmosys says:

People willing to beat their own heads in with swords are also the type that are willing to strap C4 to their ass and run into a sleeping camp. Or better yet, cut the arms off of freshly vaccinated children to stop "western poisoning".

KURTZ
    " I've seen horrors...horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call
    me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that...But
    you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is
    necessary to those who do not know what horror means.
    Horror. Horror has a face...And you must make a friend of horror. Horror and
    moral terrorare your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.
    They are truly enemies. I remember when I was with Special Forces...Seems
    a thousand centuries ago...We went into a camp to innoculate the children.
    We left the camp after we had innoculated the children for Polio, and this old
    man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went
    back there and they had come and hacked off every innoculated arm. There
    they were in a pile...A pile of little arms. And I remember...I...I...I cried...
    I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I
    wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want
    to forget. And then I realized...like I was shot...Like I was shot with a
    diamond...a diamond bullet right through my forehead...And I thought:
    My God...the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect,
    genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were
    stronger than we. Because they could stand that these were not
    monsters...These were men...trained cadres...these men who fought with
    their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with
    love...but they had the strength...the strength...to do that. If I had ten
    divisions of those men our troubles here would be over very quickly. You
    have to have men who are moral...and at the same time who are able to
    utilize their primordal instincts to kill without feeling...without passion...
    without judgement...without judgement. Because it's judgement that
    defeats us. "

• kaiaphas says:

hi, you dont know me, a friend posted a link to this article.

and as far as your story goes, i looked and looked and could find no proof of childen having thier arms amputated, i even consulted a professor of political science whose area of specialization is in middle easten political evolution ( a white man , if it makes it any more credible for you, given your apparent dislike for the brown-skinned ) , and he said that he's never heard of anything like that.

• osmosys says:

That's a quote from the famous movie apocolypse now.

It's fiction, but it creates an interesting analogy about the determinating of fundementalists.

• kaiaphas says:

yeah, now, i dont want to get too serious, but sometimes you have to watch what you say. now, on that thread, it was obvious that a lot of those people had some real anti-arab/anti-islam sentiment, and when you say that kind of shit and the dont know where its from, theyll accept it like little sheep and believe that muslims are more inhuman.

9. thesliver says:

One of the highlights of living in the centre of Birmingham (England), by the Central Mosque was the procession of Ashoura down our street. It would take them about half an hour to precess to us, pausing every 10 yards or so to whirl and beat their chests.

As carrying swords is just ever so slightly illegal in the UK they would nick themselves with concealed razor blades. By the time they finished they were in a complete daze.

10. electricdog says:

kinda.

Came across this post as AFI - Strength Through Wounding played. Through our bleeding / We are one...

It amused me, anyhow. :P

11. A Lebanese Shi'ite Muslim mother helps her son beat himself with a sword during a ceremony of Ashoura held in Nabatiyeh, March 13, 2003.
    Sheesh, and you wonder why places like this suck so bad.

• kaiaphas says:

hi, you dont know me, a friend posted a link to this article.

how different is this from circumcision? thats a type of ceremony in our culture in which a baby basically has his penis mutilated, but its accepted because is a normal part of our culture. but look at the practice from the perspective of a culture that has never heard of this and im sure it would be barbaric. think before you talk man.

12. bigdoug says:

Damn, this kaiaphas guy likes to repeat himself to death.

13. damanique says:

And of course there's nothing wrong with leading millions of people for hundreds of people to believe that they are all born as evil sinners and that through punishment and hardship they can become good. And that with everything they do God judges them. And that if they don't do things right, God will hate them, but if they beg for forgiveness, God will forgive them. That there is a list of prerequisites before you can get into heaven.

Look at your own religion before you judge another's.

God's love is boundless and comes without demands or prerequisites. No matter how many times you pray, what animals you sacrifice, whether you punish people for their 'sins' or not, cut yourself, beat others, go to church, it all doesn't matter. What matters is being true to yourself and sharing love with those around you.

No ritual or prayer will make you a good person. Recognising the love in your heart will. God is love. And nothing else. If anything, church should be a place for people to support and love eachother. Not to dwell in hypocrisy because you want a place in heaven.

Yes, I do condemn rituals like that. But I dislike most religions in general. They tend to blind people. Islam and Christianity alike!

THINK FOR YOURSELF.