bittyboxen

Tonight I saw xscreensaver running on a Mac with my very own eyes! I committed an unnatural act upon rzr_grl's defenseless bittybox by installing The Disaster, fink, and through that, The Tail-Light Chaser and its nine billion prerequisites. I did my hacking on it remotely, running The Sink and CVS through SSH, so it was really just like using a real computer! (Except I had to be on the console for sudo to work, for some reason I don't understand.)

I only had to make a couple of tweaks to my configure script to get it to go. First, you have to run gcc with -no-cpp-precomp (to disable Objective C support) or else the compiler dumps core. And second, it was mis-detecting Kerberos. Or rather, it was correctly detecting that both Kerberos 4 and 5 are present, but I have no idea the right way to actually link against them, since there doesn't seem to be a libcrypt. Locking seems to work with the usual getpwent method, though.

The image-manipulating modes are unable to grab screenshots, and I don't expect to ever be able to fix that ("rootless" X being the totally wacko thing it is.) They are able to load images files from disk just fine, though, via gdk_pixbuf.

The GL hacks don't work, though. They display a motionless mess of static-y color noise on the window, after printing this when they start:

kCGErrorIllegalArgument : initCGDisplayState: cannot map display interlocks.
    unknown error code : invalid display
    unknown error code : invalid display
    unknown error code : invalid display
    unknown error code : invalid display
    gl: couldn't allocate CGLContextObj

There were compilation weirdnesses too: it found multiple definitions of various GL functions, from both /usr/X11R6/lib/ and /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/. I'm guessing that it should be using one or the other, but I can't figure out how to tell it which to use. The warning message suggested using -bind_at_load, but that didn't affect things.

But here's the strangest part: if I run GL programs on Linux, remotely-displaying to the OSX box, they run fine -- and fast. So things work when going through X+GLX, just not locally.

Also it can't find libjpeg, even though I finked it. Who knows.

Anyone have any words of wisdom about the GL thing, or about Kerberos?

Tags: , , , , ,

1. ivorjawa says:

Right off the bat, I can tell you to not link against the Framework version of OpenGL for an X program -- that's the Objective C library.

You can find where apt-get'd stuff goes the standard debian way, using dpkg:

root@gorman kujawa]$ dpkg -L libjpeg
    /sw/lib/libjpeg.la
    /sw/share
    /sw/share/doc
    /sw/share/doc/libjpeg
    /sw/share/doc/libjpeg/README
    /sw/lib/libjpeg.dylib

I just logged into my girlfriend's OS X box remotely and was able to use sudo. Is the account you used to remotely log into rzr_grl's machine in the admin group? If not, you should add it through the Accounts preference panel, as I don't think that editing /etc/groups will be picked up by netinfo, and OS X is NeXTStep, after all.

I can't help you on the kerberos thing. I've never had any reason to learn it.

• jfpoole says:

Indeed. Linking against the OpenGL libraries that come with Apple's X11 implementation should get the GL hacks working again; I'm linking against them on my OS X machine, and the GL hacks work quite well.

I'm sort of surprised that xscreensaver is picking up the framework libraries. When I built xscreensaver configure did the right thing and picked the X11 libraries.

Yeah, I dunno... this is what I'm seeing:

gcc ... -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/sw/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib ...
                -lGL -lGLU -lpthread -lSM -lICE -lXt -lX11 -lXmu -lXext -lm

ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _glGetColorTableEXT
        /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib(gll_api.o) definition of _glGetColorTableEXT
        /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib(dri_dispatch.o) definition of _glGetColorTableEXT
        ... more of the above for a couple other symbols ...

ld: warning suggest use of -bind_at_load, as lazy binding may result in errors or different symbols being used
        symbol _glGetColorTableEXT used from dynamic library /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib(gll_api.o) not from earlier dynamic library /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib(dri_dispatch.o)
        ... etc ...

• jfpoole says:

gcc ... -L/usr/local/lib ... -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lGL -lGLU -lpthread -lSM -lICE -lXt -lX11 -lXmu -lXext -lm

I'm not picking up anything from fink, and /usr/local/lib only contains the Motif libraries. Perhaps one of the libraries in fink linked against the Framework OpenGL, or gcc is pulling library directories out of the environment?

One of the XDarwin developers mailed me -- those runtime errors I was getting mean "the GL program is running as a different person than the person who is logged in on the desktop." Doh! Yup, that was the problem, they work fine if I run them as the desktop user.

So the link-time warnings seem to be ignorable.

Now that I see the GL hacks running, I see that many of them have wrong colors because my texture loaders have endian errors, sigh...

2. ivorjawa says:

Oh, and as for screen captures ... you can use the screencapture utility for that.
    The caveat is that it outputs to pdf. It'd be trivial to write a small Cocoa commandline program that converts that to something more reasonable, however.
    It won't be the most efficient method of grabbing a screen, it'll fork() twice and require a temporary file or two, but it'll work.

Do you have any idea how to do a screen capture from the command line? If I can do it from Perl, and get hold of the output file, the problem's solved...

• ivorjawa says:

Screencapture. :)

[kujawa@gorman kujawa]$ which screencapture
        /usr/sbin/screencapture
        [kujawa@gorman kujawa]$ screencapture --help
        screencapture: illegal usage, file required if not going to clipboard
        usage: screencapture [-icmwsWx] [file] [cursor]
        -i capture screen interactively, by selection or window
        control key - causes screen shot to go to clipboard
        space key - toggle between mouse selection and
        window selection modes
        escape key - cancels interactive screen shot
        -c force screen capture to go to the clipboard
        -m only capture the main monitor, undefined if -i is set
        -w only allow window selection mode
        -s only allow mouse selection mode
        -W start interaction in window selection mode
        -x do not play sounds
        file where to save the screen capture
        [kujawa@gorman kujawa]$

• ivorjawa says:

(of course, like I said, the output of screencapture is a PDF. Cocoa has trivial methods to convert from PDF to ... just about anything you could possibly want.)

What are these methods? Are any of them usable from the command line? The only way I know is

gs -q -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dSAFER -sDEVICE=pnmraw -sOutputFile=out.ppm -- in.pdf

and GhostScript is certainly not guaranteed (or even likely) to be installed...

• forthdude says:

Hmm, it's (gs) on my machine (I don't remember getting it with fink, but since it's located in '/usr/local/bin' I guess I must have.)

Also, I think Ivorjawa was refering to method calls in Cocoa, not programs. Of course, I could be wrong...

• ivorjawa says:

What it involves is writing a small Cocoa program that loads the PDF and spits it out in whatever form you want. A lot more reliable than ghostscript. I'll see if I can monkey something up after I have some coffee.

3. grahams says:

Which X server are you using? (Apple's X Server or XDarwin)

4. akosut says:

They're all pretty much the same, though, at least as of Mac OS X 10.2 (earlier versions were different). Adding -lkrb4 to the link command should be sufficient, and it looks like you're already doing that. I don't think libcrypt has anything to do with Kerberos, though. It's where many Unices keep crypt(); on Mac OS X, it's in libSystem (linked by default), so you don't need -lcrypt.

The Kerberos support in xscreensaver won't work out of the box, regardless. It looks like passwd-kerberos.c relies heavily on the Unix-style file-based Kerberos credentials cache, which Mac OS X doesn't use. Try this instead:

<lj-raw>

# include <kerberosIV/des.h>
    @@ -34,6 +37,7 @@
    # include <krb.h>
    # include <des.h>
    #endif /* !HAVE_KERBEROS5 */
    +#endif /* ! __APPLE__ */

#if !defined(VMS) && !defined(HAVE_ADJUNCT_PASSWD)
    # include <pwd.h>
    @@ -56,10 +60,14 @@
    #define False 0

/* The user information we need to store */
    +#ifdef __APPLE__
    +static KLPrincipal princ;
    +#else
    static char realm[REALM_SZ];
    static char name[ANAME_SZ];
    static char inst[INST_SZ];
    static char *tk_file;
    +#endif

/* Called at startup to grab user, instance, and realm information
    @@ -83,6 +91,11 @@
    Bool
    kerberos_lock_init (int argc, char **argv, Bool verbose_p)
    {

}
    +#endif /* !__APPLE__ */

/* success */
    return True;
    @@ -145,6 +159,10 @@
    Bool
    kerberos_passwd_valid_p (const char *typed_passwd, Bool verbose_p)
    {

/* Did we verify successfully? */
    return success;
    +#endif /* !__APPLE__ */
    }

#endif /* NO_LOCKING -- whole file */

</lj-raw>

Cool, thanks, I'll give that a try.

I did try just leaving -lcrypt out, and then I get undefined symbols _tf_close, _tf_get_pinst,_tf_get_pname, and _tf_init. I don't know what those are or where they come from...

But I'm somewhat lost as far as finding things goes, because the "locate" database is empty and I haven't figured out where slocate or cron.daily are (it's been a long time since I've used a BSD much.)

• eaterofhands says:

That's because, for whatever reason, Apple chose to not use anacron. root's crontab is /etc/crontab. In it you'll see that it runs the `periodic` command daily, weekly, and monthly. Run the weekly one manually if you want to build the locatedb, or set it to run at a more appropriate time. It its the system pretty hard with disc access though. There is a '/etc/periodic' directory that controls the different types of periodic runs.

Installing anacon through fink will get around missed cron runs. You might have to setup a second crontab specific to fink's anacron though. I haven't bothered yet.

• akosut says:

The tf_* symbols are krb4 library functions for directly accessing the ticket file. Since Kerberos for Macintosh uses a memory-based credentials cache instead of ticket files, it doesn't implement those functions.

• batmite2000 says:

Try using the command 'updatedb' from the shell and see if it updates locate's DB file... :)

Is that included as an executable in BSD type OS's? :)

5. m4dh4tt3r says:

I also discovered this one pretty quickly when I started trying to use OS X as a regular server for a client. There are quite a few idiosyncracies, but it's still damn cool.

6. icis_machine says:

fetch survives because people like the cute little fetch dog. how can you say no to his ears?

7. ch says:

Anyone have any words of wisdom about the GL thing, or about Kerberos?

Install Linux-PPC ?

8. loic says:

Weird... Native GL apps definately work. I saw the GLUT examples working for sure.

Are you running the latest patchlevel of OS X (as updated through the Software Update control panel), I know that there was an issue that had to be resolved in a software update that was made after X11 was finished.

9. jcurious says:

steps taken as an "admin" user (not root):
    ./configure
    make
    (bombs as mentioned)
    edit directory makefiles add -no-cpp-precomp to the CC=
    make clean
    make
    (fails on kerb stuff as mentioned)
    patched passwd-kerberos.c from comment
    make clean
    make
    (fails again..)
    remove -Lcrypt from driver/Makefile
    make clean
    make

everything builds fine (even lament ;) until flurry)

RESULT:
    gcc -Wall -no-cpp-precomp -Wstrict-prototypes -Wnested-externs -std=c89 -U__STRICT_ANSI__ -c -I. -I. -I./../../utils -I./.. -I../.. -DNEED_GNOMESUPPORT_H -I/sw/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/sw/include/glib-1.2 -I/sw/lib/glib/include -I/sw/include/libcapplet1 -I/sw/include/gnome-1.0 -I/sw/lib/gnome-libs/include -I/sw/include -I/sw/include/orbit-1.0 -I/sw/include/gdk-pixbuf-1.0 -I/sw/include/libxml2 -I/sw/include/gdk-pixbuf-1.0 -I/sw/include/gtk-1.2 -I/sw/include/glib-1.2 -I/sw/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DSTANDALONE -DUSE_GL -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -I/usr/X11R6/include flurry-smoke.c
    flurry-smoke.c: In function `UpdateSmoke_ScalarFrsqrte':
    flurry-smoke.c:248: warning: implicit declaration of function `asm'
    flurry-smoke.c:248: parse error before ':' token
    flurry-smoke.c:310: parse error before ':' token
    flurry-smoke.c:320: parse error before ':' token
    make[1]: *** [flurry-smoke.o] Error 1
    make: *** [default] Error 5

• jfpoole says:

Try the following patch. It should fix flurry-smoke.c so flurry builds. The problem is that flurry-smoke.c contains assembler statements, which aren't allowed with the -std=c89 switch.

--- flurry-smoke.original Wed Feb 5 23:03:21 2003
      +++ flurry-smoke.c Wed Feb 5 23:18:57 2003
      @@ -242,11 +242,13 @@
      rsquared = (dx*dx+dy*dy+dz*dz);
      f = streamSpeed * streamSpeedCoherenceFactor;

- /* mag = f / (float) sqrt(rsquared); */
      - /* reciprocal square-root estimate replaced above divide and call to system sqrt() */
      - asm("frsqrte %0, %1" : "=f" (mag) : "f" (rsquared));
      - mag *= f;
      + mag = f / (float) sqrt(rsquared);
      + /*
      + reciprocal square-root estimate replaced above divide and call to system sqrt()
      + asm("frsqrte %0, %1" : "=f" (mag) : "f" (rsquared));