Amish Mobile Home

Amish move barn by hand

KALONA - One. Two. Three. Lift!

Communitymembers, farmers and those just passing through along Highway 22 did a double take Friday as approximately 150 Amish men carried the wooden skeleton of a turkey barn along the shoulder of the roadway.

Around 150 Amish men from the Kalona area help to carry one of four pieces of a large barn Friday morning along Highway 22 east of Kalona. The men moved the barn by foot to the homestead of Paul T. Miller, who purchased the structure at an auction from Randy Billups of Kalona. It took the group about four hours to finish the task, and they drew the attention of numerous passersby. [...]

To facilitate the move, nails that held the 160-foot-long barn together were removed to break the barn into four 80-foot-long sections. Once all the men were in place, a foreman, who followed the group along the outside of the barn, yelled "one, two, three," and the barn was lifted off the ground with nary a grunt. [...] "On west, brother," one man shouted, eliciting a right-hand turn from the crew.

Tags: ,

1. weaktwos says:

bwahahahhahaha!

If they come back from the Big City, it's because life isn't hard enough. Sheesh.

2. wasteddream says:

Oh, Jebus. *Those* fuckers.

I used to sometimes have to drive through Kalona. I know they mean well, and i suppose they have a certain quaint charm, but do you have any idea what it's like to be stuck in a 15 car lineup behind a horsedrawn haywagon?

I do.

• unabomber says:

I grew up in an area of Indiana second only to rural PA for its numbers of Amish. About once a year, a buggy filled to the brim with people wearing black and white and no zippers would get hit by a drunk driver in a Z-28, killing about 17 people. The obituary page would have a list of kids, like "Joshua Miller, 7; Jeremiah Miller, 6; Jebadiah Miller, 5" and so on.

I also found it humorous when I'd drive by the area Wal-Mart and see the buggy parking section.

-J

3. Well, sure. Haven't you heard of a barn-raising?

Thank you, I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

4. harryh says:

You ever watch Move-On before Carnival Weekend @ CMU when you lived in Pittsburgh?
    Eerily familiar...

-Harry

5. fo0bar says:

Did you just modify your userpic to make the bag move? Or have I just not noticed it for the last couple weeks?

6. hfx_ben says:

Now, I don't know you nearly well enough to say for sure, but if you start running items on XP I'mma gonna guess that you're chompin' for some big dumb undertaking that needs doing and that others *sings "you say tomato, and I say tomatoe ... you say navel-gazer, and I say snake-oil salesman"* are managing to SNAFU repeatedly. I'll bite my tongue now.

*Ponders a programming IDE that really works.*