- URLwatcher: pretty straightforward, but it just emails you a list of changed URLs; I want the new content to show up on my friends list, or perhaps in my inbox.
- syndic8.com: I can't even figure out how to make it do anything useful.
- myrss.com: I think I figured out how it works, and it's just abyssmally bad.
- newsmonster: apparently a Mozilla plugin of some sort. *plonk*
- stapler: this looked promising at first, but apparently it's a plugin to some standalone commerical program called Radio UserLand (which is, incidentally, one of the stupidest names I've ever heard ever.)
So syn_promo is the community that exists because Brad still, for some inexplicable reason, won't add the ability to get a list of all the syndicated feeds? Nice.
I've started writing a scraper, and it's actually going fairly well, since nobody but me actually writes HTML by hand any more, so the sites I want to scrape are pretty easily parsable. It's not done yet, but if you want to play with it, it's here: cheesegrater. This thing will generate .rss files from a list of web sites, and then I suppose I could periodically push them out to jwz.org and lj-befriend them from there. But, I only have like 1.8 syndication points left, so that leaves me with the options of:
- Talk Brad into giving me like 30 more points; or
- Hack up a way to merge all the sites I want to watch into a single RSS feed (which will be tricky, because they don't have, like, timestamps or anything to sort by. Maybe there's a tool that does this already?); or
- Give up on the idea of using my friends list for this, and use some standalone program or something instead. That would suck. Though I guess I could then scrape my lj friends list into whatever other thing I end up using instead. Hmmmm...