"it's a beautiful world we live in, a sweet romantic place"

This is amazing! As far as I can tell, the plan goes like this:

• Go scour the world for people who shared the same great-to-the-Nth grandmother as you do (where N is, I believe, around 140 -- 28 centuries);
  • Convince yourself that this makes them part of the Genetically Pure Chosen Race;
  • Convince them to convert to your religion;
  • Convince them to move to your tiny sliver of a country;
  • thereby, outnumbering your Non-Chosen neighbors who you'd rather not have to share the neighborhood with;
  • Profit!

Israeli Tribes: Once Lost and Now Found?

[...] On his third trip to the Indian states of Manipur and Mizoram, Halkin was shown texts that convinced him that the community, which calls itself the Bnei Menashe, has roots in the lost tribe of Menashe. The documents included a will and words to a song about the Red Sea.

The argument, made in his new book "Across the Sabbath River", is not just academic. Some Israeli rabbis believe descendants of the lost tribes number more than 35 million around the world and could help offset the sharply increasing Palestinian population. As founder of the organization Amishav (My People Return), Eliyahu Avichail trots the globe in search of lost Jews, in order to bring them back to their religion through conversation and direct them to Israel. He's even hoping to make it to Afghanistan later this year.

"I believe that groups like the Bnei Menashe are part of the solution to Israel's demographic problems," says Amishav director Michael Freund. The group has already brought 700 of the Bnei Menashe to Israel and believes thousands more are eager to come. Most have been put up in settlements in the West Bank and Gaza Strip -- the main arena of Israeli-Palestinian fighting.

[...] Halkin plans to return to India in February with a team of Israeli and American doctors who will conduct genetic tests on the Bnei Menashe to determine scientifically if their ancestors hail from ancient Palestine. But this time it's the Bnei Menashe who are skeptical. "I think DNA testing is just hogwash," says Khongsai, who lives with her 6-year-old daughter in a trailer home in Kiryat Arba. "I know I'm a Jew from the Bnei Menashe tribe, and that's all that matters."

Tags: , , ,

1. isaacfreeman says:

These would presumably be the demographic problems involved in not having enough poor people to do manual labour. Except for Palestinians.

Could be -- I wasn't sure whether "demographic problems" was code for "non-Jews" or more specifically for "lack of a Jewish serf class."

• deviant_ says:

More likely it's a voting issue -- large groups of Palestinians are taking the point of view that if they outbreed the Jews, they'll win elections one generation out.

It's a pretty good plan, really.

2. I've always been okay with the Jews in that they're never knocking on your door or handing out pamphlets begging and pleading with you to be Jewish or face the consequences. "Be Jewish! Come on, it's great! Do it!" is a sentiment you rarely hear.

I sincerely hope that doesn't change.

3. baconmonkey says:

is it inevetable that large groups of people will inevetably come to be that which they purport to despise?

compare the allegations made towards the assorted "enemies of america", like commies, Taliban, "terrorists" - then look at the Bush Regime.

also, you'd think Israel would recall the late 30s/early 40s...

4. atakra says:

I saw a news article on this recently and one of the points it brought up is that the Isralies are basicly putting the indigenous peoples on the front lines of conflict, essentially in the same houses where they've kicked out the Palestinians.
    It's just like living in the Mission three years ago!

5. denshi says:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Palestinians genetically closer to the average Israeli than someone who branched off over 100 generations ago after having emigrated to far-flung locations and wildly dissimilar genetic pools?

If so, wouldn't this effort to outvote the Palestinians be analagous to bringing in your crazy third-cousin to outnumber your brother when the two of you can't agree on how to keep your room clean?