psytrance flyers: the ass-end of design

One of my jobs is updating the calendar. It is, of course, like pulling teeth to get the promoters to give us any information about their events, so usually all we have to go in is the flyer. That means I have to spend time staring at a what-happens-when-Teletubbies-explode mess like the flyer on the right, and try to figure out what it says so that I can transribe it onto the web site. It's going to make me go blind, I tell you.

Just now as I was typing this one in, I thought Dutch was the headliner, which seemed wrong. Because my brain just threw away the angry font salad on the top half of the flyer. "Nope, no signal there", said Mister Brain. "That's just clicks and pops, that is."

Tags: , ,

1. bdu says:

yeah, why the hell did psytrance promoters get the idea that a style of trance that is so much darker and more evil sounding than others required the same happy-fluffy awful looking crap on the flyers?

• rzr_grl says:

The same person who decided what they needed for their party was a "Shrine created by a beautiful fairy named Wendy"

geez.
      Can't wait for that.

2. karina says:

I have had that issue crop of time and again after maintain sfraves.org calendar for 4+ near 5 years...Automation helps, but creates new headaches too (moderation) hehe. Have a good day! Thanks for rennovating and breathing new life into the DNA, I've been a patron for a decade, and you've made a marked improvement. ;)

3. chaobell says:

Gad.

I can safely say I've seen worse...but not much worse.

This is your brain on acid and Photoshop. Any questions?

4. baconmonkey says:

for goth/industrial flyers, the ideal goal if flyers that are legible to drunks.
    maybe a similar philosophy is used for acid-heads/Etardz. flyers that look like life on those substances, so when on them, perhaps the flyers look normal.

5. jette says:

I wouldn't have noticed the headliner if you didn't point it out.

On another note, I absolutely cannot stand it when people call the West Coast the "Left Coast." It's just too eighties for me.