So yesterday I finally got around to writing a script that would dig album cover images out of an online store, by feeding it search strings and then parsing the resultant pages. I did this so that I could have Gronk
, my MP3 jukebox, display album covers as well as track listings. The script I wrote at first seemed to be working pretty well, but it turned out that I ended up spending hours doing by hand the ones that it almost
found. I pulled the images out of Amazon (even though I don't shop there, since I don't approve of software patents
), since they sell used CDs as well, and so were likely to have more images.
I only ended up getting images for about half of the CDs I own. The compilation albums seem spottiest (they're hard to search for, and apparently don't stay in print long.) Also, some of the images are 300x300, but mostly they are 130x130, which is pretty illegible.
There must be a better source of these images out there somewhere....
In retrospect, wow, what a colossal waste of time that was.