You earth humans are Stupid! STUPID! STUPID!

I was going to pull some choice quotes out of this one, but I can't! Every single paragraph contains a groaner! And who voted for it? All of them. Because you can't come out against GOD, you know!

Senators call Pledge decision 'stupid'

June 26, 2002

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Shortly after a federal appeals court ruled the Pledge of Allegiance unconstitutional, the Senate Wednesday approved a resolution "expressing support for the Pledge of Allegiance" and asking Senate counsel to "seek to intervene in the case."

The resolution passed 99-0.

<LJ-CUT text=" --More--(19%) ">

The Senate resolution came about quickly after lawmakers on both sides of the aisle were outraged as news spread of the decision by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. The court ruled the Pledge of Allegiance is an unconstitutional "endorsement of religion" because of the addition of the phrase "under God" in 1954 by Congress.

In an impassioned speech on the Senate floor just before the resolution vote, Sen. Robert Byrd, D-West Virginia, said he is the only remaining member of Congress who voted for the addition of "under God" on June 7, 1954. He warned the judges who declared the Pledge of Allegiance unconstitutional to never come before him because "he'll be blackballed."

"I hope the Senate will waste no time in throwing this back in the face of this stupid judge. Stupid, that's what he is."

Meanwhile, House Speaker Dennis Hastert Wednesday said the decision underscores the need for the Senate to confirm "some common sense jurists."

In a statement, Hastert said:

"Obviously, the liberal court in San Francisco has gotten this one wrong. Of course, we are one nation, under God. The Pledge of Allegiance is a patriotic salute that brings people of all faiths together to share in the American spirit.

"I strongly believe that parents, teachers and local schools should encourage children to recite the pledge to start the day, the same way those of us in Congress begin our daily business, (and) not allow a liberal judge to take it away. It's time for the Senate to move forward and confirm some common-sense jurists."

At one point late Wednesday, about 100-150 House members, mostly Republicans, gathered on the steps outside the Capitol and recited the Pledge of Allegiance in a show of support.

The Senate resolution was pushed quickly to the floor by Majority Leader Tom Daschle, D-South Dakota, with the backing of Sen. Trent Lott, R-Mississippi.

Of the court's ruling, Daschle said, "This decision is nuts."

Lott concurred: "This is obviously an unbelievable decision, as far as I am concerned, and an incorrect ruling and a stupid ruling."

Tags: ,

1. jette says:

"The ruling is stupid. And it has cooties, too! I'm going get all my friends to beat you up!"

2. rzr_grl says:

Thems some balls I'd like to blacken.

3. bluce says:

Excuse me, I think I need to go retch now.

It's true, every sentence is actually physically painful to read.

And don't miss this gem: "I wonder if that judge would hold the Declaration of Independence unconstitutional," said Byrd.

Well, the Declaration of Independence is unconstitutional. The Declaration of Independence advocates the violent overthrow of the government. The Constitution expressly forbids advocating the violent overthrow of the government.

4. jcurious says:

99 senators loose faith in justice system.. news at 11

5. bdu says:

I read it yesterday and wanted to post a link, but I couldn't figure out how to present it either.

It's as if noone in our govt. is even bothering to give lip service to the concept of checks and balances anymore.

We've got an executive branch with the power to declare war (by not declaring war), make anything de facto law with executive orders, declare US citizens "unlawful combatants" and therefore unworthy of constitutional rights, and create new overarching agencies above the reach of the law and oversight.

We've got a legislative branch that's doing it's best to tell the judiciary how to interpret the constitution...

And a judicial branch that is all but powerless except when it does as either the executive or legislative branch wishes (not to mention installing our current executive).

• anonymous says:

I think it's better up here in Canada, but our judicial branch has the ability to create new laws and strike down others at the whims of individual judges.

The politics of these days are all pretty stupid anyways, and may be one of the many reasons why I hate being human.

6. anonymous says:

Don't any of you see the truth in this? It IS stupid, it was an unnecessary action. Obviously everybody in this country has recited the Pledge of Allegiance at least once. Did it undermine your opinion? Did it offend you, each and every day beacuse you worship pagan gods? Did it influence you and beg you to worship one God? Obviously everybody has differing opinions and beliefs, and even more obvious is the fact that nobody's opinion/religion (or lack there of) has been influenced by the Pledge. Get a grip, for most people the Pledge is an inconvenient 2 min ritual that requires you to get up off your lazy teenage ass at 8AM. If you're sitting there, agonizing over "why is america forcing this monotheism on me!?" while you're thoughtlessly, instinctively, reciting the pledge, then maybe you should learn to be less sensitive to the events around you. Deal with it, it's not taking any of your rights away, hell, you don't even have to recite it, just stand there and respect the flag. Why even have the pledge? Because the majority doesn't mind, and whatever your opinion of the majority is, it doesn't count, because this is a Democracy and majority rules.

If you have to enforce respect, it's not respect, it's tyrrany.

Yes, it offended me, every single time I was forced to say it, or to pay homage to the flag, because who are they to tell me what God or what flag I should and should not pay homage to?

Yes, it's a small tyrrany. But large things grow from from such precedent.

And this is not a Democracy, it's a representative Republic, there's a very big difference: that difference is supposed to protect against tyrrany of the majority, for example, majority-mandated religion.

I think I'm going to turn off anonymous posting; twice in the last two days I've gotten trolls from people not willing to attach their reputation to their words.