This is the list of known problems in the MacOS port of
XScreenSaver. If you'd like to tackle any of this, I'd love to
have some help.
To build on MacOS, use the XCode project included in the
tarball. You shouldn't need to have X11 installed, and shouldn't need
to run "configure" first.
To debug, you can either install the .saver bundles in your
"Library/Screen Savers/" directory (symlinks work too) or you
can use the included "SaverTester" program.
- Why is this getting logged every time the prefs are used:
"SaverTester: ScreenSaverDefaults does not respond to
- xflag, sonar (and others) -- if you delete all the
text in a preferences text field, this happens after hitting OK:
NSRunLoop ignoring exception '-[NSCFDictionary
setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value' that raised
during posting of delayed perform with target 3d9ea0 and
- 2D graphics are really slow in general. In
particular, XCopyArea is a dog: try out "Slip" or "Kumppa"
for examples of something that should be screamingly fast, but
- These programs are too slow:
- t3d (slow startup)
- These programs are painfully slow:
- moire2 (it's unusable on slow machines)
- qix -solid -xor (and -transparent) -- looks wrong:
it's drawing some pixels in the shape more than once, causing
- bsod -only blitdamage -- uses plane masks as... actual
plane masks. I don't know how to do that with Quartz; I don't
think it would look right if done with alpha transparency.
- Maybe rework image loading so that the texture is loaded
on the other side of the fork, using a shared aglContext.