- Changed default text source from Twitter to Wikipedia,
since Twitter now requires a login to get any feeds.
- New version of fireworkx.
- Minor fixes to distort, fontglide, xmatrix.
- New MacOS crash in bsod.
- New mode in lcdscrub.
- Support for iPhone 5 screen size.
- Fixed modifier key handing in Apple2.app and
Phosphor.app on MacOS.
- Various minor bug fixes.
- MacOS 10.8.0 compatibility.
- iOS performance improvements.
- iOS responds to shake gestures to randomize.
- iOS can load images from your Photo Library.
- iOS has clickable Wikipedia links in Settings panels.
- Made pipes be ridiculously less efficient, but spin.
- Added better mouse control to rubik, cube21,
crackberg, and julia.
- Cosmetic improvements to queens and endgame.
- sonar can now ping local subnet on DHCP.
- Most savers now resize/rotate properly.
- Various fixes.
- More iOS tweaks.
- Fixed some compilation problems.
- Enlarged the texture image for lament.
- Ported to iPhone and iPad.
- XInput devices now also ignore small mouse motions.
- Loading images via RSS feeds is much improved.
- Various minor fixes.
- New hacks, hilbert, companioncube and tronbit.
- Image-manipulating hacks can now load from RSS or Atom
feeds: imageDirectory may contain a URL.
- Updated webcollage for recent search engine changes.
- phosphor and apple2 can now be run as standalone
terminal emulator applications on MacOS.
- photopile sped up.
- New molecule in molecule.
- ``Upgraded'' to XCode 4.0, which means that MacOS 10.4
PPC builds are impossible, and Intel is now required.
- Turned on LC_CTYPE on Linux; maybe Japanese password
entry works now?
- Fixed crash in Blank Only Mode when DPMS disabled.
- Added ``Quick Power-off in Blank Only Mode'' option.
- BSOD GLaDOS.
- Optionally enabled full-scene OpenGL antialiasing.
Set the resource *multiSample to true if doing so
doesn't kill performance with your video hardware.
- New version of glhanoi.
- Image-loading hacks that display the file name now also
display the sub-directory (xscreensaver-getimage now
returns relative paths under imageDirectory).
- Passwords that contain UTF-8 non-Latin1 chars are now
- Numerous minor stability fixes.
- Big speed improvement on OSX for heavy XCopyArea
users (xmatrix, moire2, phosphor, etc.)
- Plugged a bad OSX-only Pixmap leak.
- Kludged around the OSX pty bug that caused text to
be truncated in phosphor, starwars, apple2, etc.
- New molecule in molecule.
- glhanoi now supports an arbitrary number of poles.
- Turned on ``New Login'' button by default.
- Added support for XInput-style alternate input devices.
- New versions of photopile, strange.
- Worked around MacOS 10.6 garbage collector bug that
caused the screen saver process to become enormous.
- Fixed flicker in pipes, cubestorm, and noof.
- Fixed EXIF rotation on MacOS 10.6.
- Fixed desktop-grabbing when screen locked on MacOS.
- Minor fixes to circuit, polyhedra, tangram,
gears, pinion, substrate, xanalogtv.
- Fixed some leaks in xanalogtv and apple2.
- Better seeding of the RNG.
- Fixed some crashes and color problems on MacOS 10.6.
- Retired hypercube and hyperball, which are
redundant with polytopes.
- Ported to MacOS 10.6, including various 64-bit fixes.
- New hack, rubikblocks.
- Fixed another potential RANDR crash.
- Use correct proxy server on MacOS.
- molecule now correctly displays PDB 3.2 files.
- Updates to mirrorblob, glhanoi, and sonar.
- Rewritten version of klein hack.
- New hack, surfaces, incorporating objects from old
klein hack, plus new ones.
- Merged juggle and juggler3d hacks.
- Fixed compilation under gcc 4.4.0 (strict aliasing).
- Fixed intermittent failure in xscreensaver-command.
- New hack, photopile.
- Rewrote sonar and jigsaw as OpenGL programs.
- Minor tweaks to maze, m6502, hypnowheel, and
- Savers that load images now obey EXIF rotation tags.
- Arrgh, more RANDR noise! Fixes this time for rotated
screens, and for systems where RANDR lies and says the
screen size is 0x0.
- When the password dialog has timed out or been
cancelled, don't pop it right back up a second time.
- Password timeouts/cancels don't count as
- Retired some of the older, less interesting savers:
say goodbye to bubbles, critical, flag, forest,
glforestfire, lmorph, laser, lightning, lisa,
lissie, rotor, sphere, spiral, t3d, vines,
whirlygig, and worm.
- Merged munch and mismunch.
- Updated webcollage to use twitpic.com as well.
- Xinerama/RANDR tweaks for old-style multi-screen.
- Added bumpy skin and cel shading to skytentacles.
- flipflop can load images onto the tiles.
- Fixed the bouncing ball in stairs.
- Added the missing Utah Teapotahedron to polyhedra.
- blitspin works with color images on MacOS now.
- Added transparency to stonerview.
- Improved layout of the preferences dialogs: they
should all now be usable even on ridiculously tiny
- MacOS preferences text fields now prevent you from
entering numbers that are out of range.
- Added ``Reset to Defaults'' button on X11.
- Added relevant Wikipedia links to many of the screen
- All hacks support the -fps option, not just GL ones.
- The -fps option now shows CPU load.
- Xinerama/RANDR fixes: this time for sure. It should
now work to add/remove monitors or resize screens at
- New hack, skytentacles.
- New version of gleidescope.
- Added the -log option to the xscreensaver daemon,
since a truly shocking number of Linux users seem to
have no idea how to redirect output to a file.
- Added -duration arg to most image-loading hacks,
so that they pick a new image every few minutes.
- Added an ATM crash to bsod.
- New hacks, cubicgrid, hypnowheel, and
lcdscrub (which isn't really a screen saver).
- Updates to m6502 and gears.
- Fixed double-buffering problems in cubestorm and
- Better handling of horizontal scroll wheels.
- Attempt to work around latest Xinerama braindamage:
if the server reports overlapping screens, use the
largest non-overlapping rectangles available.
- Don't warning about receipt of bogus ClientMessages,
since Gnome's just never going to stop sending those.
- Worked around MacOS 10.5 perl bug that caused the
text-displaying hacks to fail on some systems.
- Hopefully fixed font-related System Preferences crashes
in MacOS savers.
- The recent PAM changes broke the ``Caps Lock'' warning
in the password dialog, the failed login warnings, and
syslogging. Fixed all that.
- Fixed a possible crash in the unlock dialog (more
fallout from the recent PAM changes...)
- New hacks, moebiusgears, abstractile, and
- Rewrote gears to use better (involute) gear models,
and to be more random.
- Minor updates to cwaves, voronoi, deco,
glcells, rd-bomb, fireworkx and webcollage.
- pong can now display the current time as the score.
- xmatrix -mode pipe works better.
- Minor tweaks for compilation on MacOS 10.5.0.
- New hacks, cwaves, glcells, m6502, and voronoi.
- Minor fixes to bsod.
- Fixed possible crash with PAM USB-dongle auth.
- Updated webcollage to track recent Google Images
and Flickr changes.
- Reworked PAM code to support fingerprint readers, etc.
- Ported 'webcollage' to MacOS.
- Added MacOS 10.2 and 10.3 kernel panics to bsod.
- Fixed a Xinerama crash when changing the screen count.
- New blobbier mirrorblob.
- Minor updates to lisa, bsod, ifs, hypertorus,
polytopes, circuit, endgame, crackberg,
flipflop, flipscreen3d, fliptext, and carousel.
- Enabled multi-threaded OpenGL on MacOS.
- Backed out recent locale-related changes, since they
broke far more things than they fixed.
- Fail gracefully with ridiculously small window sizes.
- xflame and flag ignore bitmap option on MacOS.
- speedmine prefs work on MacOS.
- Better explosions in boxed.
- More dynamic motion in sproingies.
- More options in flipflop.
- Minor updates to topblock.
- Various other minor fixes.
- Ported to MacOS X! (10.4.0 or newer)
- API change: instead of providing a single screenhack()
function that does not return, screen savers using the
screenhack.h framework must now provide ``init'' and
``draw one frame'' functions instead. All bundled savers
have been updated; third-party patches will need work.
- All image-loading happens asynchronously.
- xscreensaver-getimage-file caches the contents of the
image directory for a few hours, so consecutive runs
won't have to re-list the whole directory tree.
- New hacks, topblock and glschool.
- Removed xteevee (superceded by xanalogtv).
- Added variable-sized puzzle pieces to jigsaw.
- Changes to the defaults and command-line options of
many hacks to make the .xml files more consistent.
- Reap zombies in glslideshow and carousel.
- sonar works without setuid on MacOS (dgram icmp).
- xmatrix -mode pipe displays the text of a subprocess.
- endgame has higher resolution chess-piece models.
- webcollage takes a -directory option to get images
from a local directory.
- The RPM spec file no longer auto-restarts xscreensaver
when a new version is installed. Restart it manually.
- New versions of cube21, glsnake, celtic.
- Backed out a DPMS-related patch that cause desktop
flickering with some X servers.
- Fixed startup crash in getgroups() when running setuid.
- Default to not displaying stderr on the saver window.
- Fixed bad free() in ``Documentation'' button.
- Don't try to run hacks that aren't installed.
- Minor fixes to various XML config files and man pages.
- New hacks, glhanoi, cube21, timetunnel,
juggler3d, and celtic.
- New versions of tangram, webcollage, hypertorus,
polytopes, and ripples.
- sonar is now quiet about unresolvable hosts.
- Minor corrections to BASIC code in apple2.
- xscreensaver-demo now provides an RPM clue when none
of the hacks seem to be installed.
- Don't install ant by default, since there is some
Java tool of that name, which was causing confusion.
And also it's boring.
- Made screen grabbing work again on MacOS 10.4.2.
- No longer prints bogus warnings about ClientMessages
intended for the window manager.
- Ignore unprintable characters in passwd entry field.
- Fixed yet another cross-host-display image-loading
- xscreensaver-command -watch and -time now work
on 64-bit machines.
- Fixed a bug in the new mouse-motion code that caused
the screen to never blank on multi-head non-Xinerama
- New hacks, interaggregate, antmaze, tangram,
- Minor tweaks to fiberlamp, ifs, slidescreen,
zoom, sonar, fireworkx, whirlwindwarp,
bubble3d, and rd-bomb.
- Added motion blur to blinkbox.
- bsod now includes Longhorn's ``RSOD'', and OS/2.
- Fixed -wireframe usage in most hacks and man pages.
- New hack: fliptext.
- Changed default configure installation directories:
/usr/bin/ for xscreensaver, etc.;
/usr/libexec/xscreensaver/ for hacks;
/usr/share/xscreensaver/config/ for xml files.
- All the text-manipulating screen savers can have their
text source configured via xscreensaver-demo now.
- xscreensaver.spec now builds three RPMs:
base (no hacks); extras (2d hacks); and gl-extras.
- Added -program and -front option to gltext.
- Added -shells to molecule.
- Fixed text-alpha glitch in carousel.
- New pacman: the ghosts can be killed now.
- Fixed a bug in screen-grabbing GL hacks where images
would be tiled instead of scaled on machines that
can't do large textures.
- webcollage can hit Flickr now.
- New (rewritten) implementation of ifs.
- The unlock dialog can be made to have a ``New Login''
button that will run gdmflexiserver. Experimental!
- Fixed non-ASCII display bug in starwars.
- Configure finds a default for imageDirectory.
- ``xscreensaver-command -lock'' now works even if
in ``screensaver disabled'' mode.
- If a bad password is typed while CapsLock is on, the
unlock dialog says ``CapsLock?'' instead of ``Sorry''.
- Mouse motion only counts as activity if the mouse moved
more than 10 pixels (so the screen won't unblank every
time you bump your desk.)
- New mode option ``random-same'': if you have multiple
monitors, this will run the same randomly chosen
hack on each screen, instead of different ones on each.
- New hacks, fiberlamp, boing, boxfit, and
- Rewrote glslideshow again: should be faster now.
- Sped up loading of images in GL programs.
- starwars uses texture-mapped fonts now.
- New bsod modes: tru64, hppa, and nvidia.
- Updates to webcollage, juggle, pinion,
fireworkx, sonar, extrusion, substrate, and
- New hacks, substrate, intermomentary, fireworkx,
- New version of flow.
- Made /proc/interrupts work again on Linux 2.6.
- Made analogtv not hog the CPU.
- Made analogtv-based hacks work properly on PPC/ARM.
- Fixed a bad memory leak in piecewise.
- Minor updates to sonar, molecule, glmatrix,
galaxy, and webcollage.
- Removed support for GTK 1.x (everyone uses 2.x now.)
- Oops, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
- New hacks, anemotaxis and memscroller.
- Fixed a bad bug that caused vidwhacker to never die.
- Fixed normals and lighting in polyhedra.
- Don't reuse the window when changing hacks (to work
around bugs in some GL implementations.)
- Made xscreensaver-getimage-file skip thumbnail-sized
- Fixed endian problem in barcode on non-x86.
- Updates to webcollage, apple2, fuzzyflakes,
atunnel, and pacman.
- Timing tweaks to bubble3d, bouncingcow, engine,
gltext, lavalite, molecule, spotlight,
sballs, boxed, blinkbox, and circuit.
- Configure updates for Fedora core 2 / xorg 6.7.0.
- Compile without warnings under gcc 3.3.3.
- I give up: don't blank or lock the screen if we can't
get a keyboard grab. In that case, both choices are
- New hacks, polyhedra, fuzzyflakes, antinspect,
- Minor updates to webcollage, bsod, endgame,
antspotlight, xmatrix, and glmatrix.
- Added support for the RANDR (Resize and Rotate)
extension to detect when the size of the desktop has
been changed while xscreensaver is already running.
- Possibly-futile attempt to work around ``rdesktop''
- Made xscreensaver-getimage -file still work even if
imageDirectory is unset.
- Convert Latin1 to ASCII in starwars and phosphor
(since the GLUT font only has ASCII glyphs.)
- Fixed randomization in noof.
- Added ``GetViewPortIsFullOfLies'' preference to work
around longstanding XFree86 bug #421.
- Made sonar subnet pinging work properly on bigendian
machines (e.g., PPC.)
- New hacks, wormhole, mismunch, noof, and
- phosphor and apple2 include vt100 emulators now:
this means you can do ``phosphor -program top'', or
can use either program as an xterm replacement:
``apple2 -text -fast -program 'xemacs -nw'''.
- analogtv (and related) fill the screen better.
- The '-gradient' option works in atlantis now.
- Minor updates to blinkbox, queens, endgame,
glmatrix, mirrorblob, blocktube, and molecule.
- Integrated SuSE's ``external passwd helper'' support.
- Marginally better /tmp handling in various programs.
- Updated config defaults for xplanet 1.0.3.
- Portability fixes.
- New hacks, fontglide, apple2, xanalogtv, pong,
gleidescope, mirrorblob, and blinkbox.
- New version of glsnake (with many more models.)
- Another Windows crash in bsod; also HVX/GCOS6/TPS6.
- New version of endgame.
- Screen grabbing works on MacOS X.
- Various minor fixes.
- On Xinerama systems, xscreensaver now runs one hack on
each monitor (just like in ``real'' multi-head mode)
instead of running one hack stretching across all the
screens. Note that for this to work with any 3rd party
screensavers, they must update their ``vroot.h'' file.
- webcollage and vidwhacker display images using
- Added ljlatest script for use with starwars and
- New GL hacks, flipflop, antspotlight, and
- Added VMS to bsod.
- Compile without warnings in ``gcc -pedantic''.
- Updates to webcollage and queens.
- Fixed a bug that could cause PAM to hang.
- New hacks, hypertorus, cubestorm, glknots,
blocktube, and glmatrix.
- Updates to cloudlife, engine, xmatrix, and
- Rewrote glslideshow: it should work on somewhat
wimpier video cards now.
- Various portability tweaks.
- New hacks, cloudlife and klein.
- Added Apple ][+, HPUX, and OS/390 sessions to bsod.
- Added some Matrix Reloaded text to xmatrix.
- Updates to webcollage, eruption, jigglypuff,
metaballs, and endgame.
- Completely ignore the memoryLimit setting now,
since it was still causing people GL grief.
- Various minor fixes.
- New hacks, flyingtoasters, bouncingcow,
jigglypuff, and glslideshow.
- More models in engine.
- Rewrote xscreensaver-getimage to remove reliance on
external image loaders (xv, chbg, xloadimage, etc.)
and to reduce flicker when loading files.
- Made gflux and flipscreen3d be mouse-spinnable.
- New hacks, atunnels and piecewise.
- Physics improvement in fluidballs.
- Various fixes for XDarwin systems (X11 on MacOS X.)
- Added -clock option to barcode.
- Minor fixes to endgame, flurry, flipscreen3d,
- New hacks, flurry, metaballs, eruption,
popsquares, and barcode.
- Minor updates to maze for high density mazes.
- Added double buffering to fluidballs and whirlygig.
- Bug fixes for running xscreensaver to a remote XFree86
display (which nobody would ever do...)
- Updated webcollage (faster Alta Vista searching.)
- Updated glplanet so the sun sets in the west.
- Updated sproingies with smooth, unsegmented surfaces.
- Fixed Perl version-sensitivity in
- Fixed GTK2 scrolling bug in xscreensaver-demo.
- New hack, glblur (disabled by default, since it
requires fast OpenGL texture support.)
- New hack, halftone.
- Updates to endgame, queens, bumps, glplanet,
engine, and circuit.
- New version of menger that uses far fewer polygons.
- Fixed minor bug in critical that could cause some
bogus X servers to crash.
- Better labels in molecule: the labels now appear to
be attached to the atoms, instead of floating in front
of the whole scene.
- Fixed bug that could rarely cause GL hacks to fail to
double-buffer (causing intermittent flickering.)
- Fixed a relative-URL-parsing bug in webcollage.
- Fixed a bug that (sometimes) caused the window manager
close box to kill xscreensaver-demo with a crash
instead of a graceful exit.
- Updated xscreensaver.pam to the Red Hat 7.3 way.
- More Gnome2-related configure crap.
- Updated to latest config.guess and config.sub.
- Fixed occasional core dump in distort.
- Added a Linux fsck failure and kernel panic to bsod.
- Added MacOS X kernel panic to bsod.
- Fixed a bug in bsod (all bsod bugs are ironic.)
- Fixed a bug that caused xscreensaver-gl-helper to
print a nonsense visual ID with some versions of
printf: this could cause GL programs to display
incorrectly (e.g., flickery.)
- More configure tweaks to try and get things working
on systems that both Gtk 1.x and 2.x installed.
- New hack, endgame.
- Minor updates to gltext.
- Support for GTK 2.x / GNOME 2.x.
- The configure script will now use pkg-config if
you have it, in preference to gtk-config, etc.
- New hacks, lavalite, queens, and anemone.
- Minor updates to spheremonics, gltext, xmatrix.
- You can use the mouse to manually spin most of the GL
hacks now (when they are displaying in a window.)
- Fixed a bug in webcollage (due to recent Alta Vista
url changes) that was causing it to try and load
incorrect image URLs.
- Made xscreensaver-getimage use gdk_pixbuf if it is
available: this means that those hacks that load images
will no longer rely on ``xv'', ``xloadimage'', etc. This
will close a race condition that could sometimes cause
your desktop background to be changed; and also makes
it possible for those programs to operate on image
files when running in windowed mode.
- webcollage can now be used in conjunction with
driftnet to display images snooped from your local
ethernet instead of obtained from search engines.
- Added man pages for all the hacks that didn't have
- New hack, spheremonics.
- Minor updates to webcollage, cage, moebius,
morph3d, boxed, circuit, and helix.
- pulsar and extrusion can now load texture JPEGs.
- rubik now does non-square cubes.
- fluidballs now does various sizes of balls.
- menger and sierpinski3d now also show polygon
counts in -fps mode.
- molecule displays real subscripts in the formulae.
- GTK internationalization/localization support.
- Better detection of the various versions of libxml.
- Upgraded to autoconf 2.53 (from 2.13.)
- Plugged a few minor leaks in xscreensaver and
- New hacks, cubenetic and fluidballs.
- Sped up pipes.
- Fixed sphere projection error in glplanet; installed
a better image of earth.
- Added Win2K and MacOS 1 crashes to bsod.
- Put back previous (better) version of forest that
was accidentially downgraded in the last release.
- New version of bumps.
- Made FPS computation in GL hacks more efficient: it
will influence the results less, thus resulting in
higher (but more accurate) reported frame rates.
- New hacks: twang, glsnake, boxed, sballs,
- New hacks apollonian, euler2d, juggle,
polyominoes and thornbird, from xlockmore.
- Merged recent xlockmore changes into ant, braid,
demon, discrete, drift, fadeplot, forest,
grav, hopalong, ifs, laser, lightning,
lisa, lissie, loop, mountain, penrose,
rotor, sierpinski, slip, sphere, spiral,
strange, and vines.
- Fixed the gltext bug that sometimes caused
horizontal lines to vanish again. This time for sure.
- Sped up webcollage by adding a C helper program to
replace the PPM pipeline. It also pastes images
- Added support for the gdk_pixbuf library: if this lib
is available, then blitspin, xflame, and flag
can load GIF, JPEG, and PNG images in addition to XPM
- Fixed a rare race condition where the desktop-grabbing
hacks could sometimes leave the screen wedged, if the
user moved the mouse exactly when they were grabbing
the screen image (it would un-wedge the next time the
saver timed out or was activated.)
- Fixed incorrect colors in the screen-grabbing GL hacks
(gflux and flipscreen3d.)
- Made SIGHUP restart the daemon process (though using
xscreensaver-command -restart is still the preferred
- Tweaks to xspirograph.
- Minor configure and portability tweaks.
- Redesigned xscreensaver-demo GUI: it now includes
small-preview and per-hack configuration dialogs.
- Added three new modes of operation: One Screen Saver,
Blank Screen, and Don't Blank (in addition to the
historical Random Screen Saver).
- Configure now defaults to installing the hacks in
<prefix>/lib/xscreensaver/ instead of <prefix>/bin/.
(Most distros already did it this way.)
- New GL hacks, menger, engine, flipscreen3d.
- Made sierpinski3d be more colorful.
- New versions of xmatrix and nerverot.
- Fixed a bug in starwars that made the font be drawn
with thin lines in -root mode.
- Fixed a bad colormap bug in crystal that could make
subsequent hacks malfunction!
- Made gflux able to grab screen images (-mode grab).
- Updated webcollage for recent search engine changes.
- Removed most command-line options to xscreensaver:
just edit the ~/.xscreensaver file instead.
- Improved behavior on multi-screen and Xinerama systems:
the mouse now stays on the screen where the user left
it, and the password and splash dialogs always appear
on the screen that has the mouse.
- Made the splash dialog use more Gtk-like colors;
made it have only two buttons, ``Settings'' and ``Help''.
- Made sonar understand .ssh/known_hosts2 format
files, and be better about stripping out illegal
- Turned memoryLimit off by default, sigh. Apparently
some versions of the GL libraries (appear to) allocate
hundreds of megs for every GL program, so memoryLimit
was causing GL programs to malfunction or crash on
- Improved fading on TrueColor XFree86 4.1.x systems.
- New GL hack, circuit.
- Added fuzz mode to decayscreen.
- New version of whirlygig.
- Added links to xplanet and sphereEversion.
- Fixed rare race condition that could make sonar hang.
- Fixed potential crash in speedmine.
- Made xscreensaver-demo not crash when imageDirectory
was set to a non-existent directory.
- Made xscreensaver-getimage-video invoke XawTV's
streamer program better.
- Made phosphor and starwars deal with CR, LF,
or CRLF line endings.
- Changes for Cygwin compilation environments.
- Made sonar compile on systems that can't ping.
- Configure changes for HPUX 10.20.
- Made PAM code work on Red Had 4.2 systems.
- Made xscreensaver-command -deactivate work when the
saver is not active: what that does is reset the idle
timer, as if keyboard input had been detected. This
was added for the benefit of people writing DVD-playing
software: they can now prevent the screensaver from
kicking in by sending a -deactivate message once a
minute while the movie is playing and not paused.
- Various minor portability tweaks.
- New hacks, speedmine and whirlygig.
- Sped up pyro, made the explosions look a bit better.
- Added better stars to glplanet and starwars.
- Many internal changes to webcollage.
- Some new options to attraction.
- Minor fix to noseguy to avoid un-erased pixels.
- Rewrote the screen-eraser effects so that they complete
in the same amount of time regardless of how slow
your X server is (some of them were glacial on servers
with slow blitting.)
- Fixed a potential free memory reference that could
sometimes cause a crash at startup.
- Possibly fixed a problem that could cause the daemon
to crash with an X error. I was never able to
reproduce this problem, but I think I might have
figured out what caused it.
- Worked around a problem that caused PAM authentication
to fail on some Red Hat 7.x systems.
- Added a memoryLimit parameter that controls the
amount of memory a graphics hack may allocate: if they
try to allocate more than this, malloc() will fail
(and they will exit or (safely) crash, rather than
hogging memory.) Default is 50M.
- Made gnome-help-browser be the default way to display
man pages in xscreensaver-demo, if running on a
- The image-manipulating hacks (slidescreen, etc.) can
now operate on randomly chosen image files from disk,
or on frames captured from the system's video input,
instead of (or in addition to) manipulating images of
- Rewrote vidwhacker to use the new image-grabbing
- Made fading work on TrueColor XFree86 4.x systems.
- Fixed a subtle rendering bug in atlantis (the fish
were inside out!)
- Made atlantis have a texture simulating light
reflections from the surface of the ocean.
- Fixed up label placement in molecule.
- Better color bars in xteevee.
- Made install-strip not try to strip scripts.
- Put in more sensible defaults for DPMS, and updated
the documentation to reflect the fact that all your
DPMS settings are now belong to xscreensaver.
- Fixed the xscreensaver.spec file so that --force
is no longer needed.
- New versions of rotzoomer and nerverot.
- Fixed an OSF/1 compilation problem in molecule.
- New hacks, molecule, dangerball, and rotzoomer.
- New version of gflux.
- Made gltext able to display the current time.
- Fixed a floating-point-precision problem in gltext
that sometimes caused horizontal lines to vanish.
- Removed the -window-id option from the hacks:
it never worked right, and was unnecessary.
- Made the starwars hack use thicker lines, antialias
the text, and fade out at the far edge instead of just
- Fixed an SHM segment leak in moire.
- Better rendering of the new logo.
- New hack, gltext.
- Added -planetary option to gears, to draw a
different kind of gear system.
- Made motion and rotation be smoother in gears,
glplanet, moebius, rubik, and sierpinski3d.
- Improved coloration in sierpinski3d.
- Made the GL hacks react to window size changes.
- Made most of the GL hacks take a -fps option (like
pulsar did), so you can use them to benchmark your
- Fixed the previous fix to sonar.
- Minor fix to nerverot.
Made sonar able to ping hosts on DEC OSF1.
- Eliminated a bogus ``didn't get enough colors'' warning
in some of the hacks.
- New logo for xscreensaver!
- New hacks, starwars and stonerview.
- Made the motion of the bouncing ball in stairs be a
little less jerky.
- Made newly-added screenhacks be added to .xscreensaver
automatically: if there are hacks in the app-defaults
file that are not also in ~/.xscreensaver, they will
be added to the end of the list.
- Redid the Screensaver Options part of the control
panel; xscreensaver now lets you configure your DPMS
- Fixed some Makefile problems with non-GL builds.
- Fixed detection of MesaGL for version 3.3.
- Better workaround to Red Hat 7.0's broken gcc.
- Added Sparc Solaris kernel panic to bsod.
- New hacks: zoom and whirlwindwarp.
- Fixed a free-memory-reference bug in sonar.
- Better error handling when there are no suitable GL
- Added diagnostic dialog when xscreensaver-demo is
unable to launch xscreensaver (e.g., when running as
- Fixed a bug that caused screenhack argument changes
to be ignored when xscreensaver-demo was running as
root (if ``root'' and ``nobody'' have different home
- Made the programs default to ``:0'' if $DISPLAY is unset.
- Made the -verbose output include information about
which server extensions were supported at compile time.
- Worked around Red Hat 7.0's broken gcc 2.96.
- Updated default delays on the GL hacks to look better
on machines with super-fast 3D hardware.
- Install screensaver-properties-capplet to work around
the usual egregious GNOME lossage.
- Added ``enabled'' checkboxes in the list of hacks in
xscreensaver-demo (Gtk version only.)
- New hacks hyperball, xrayswarm, and gflux.
- New versions of nerverot, galaxy, and hypercube.
- Small fixes to phosphor, shadebobs, xflame,
- Added external helper program xscreensaver-gl-helper
to figure out which X visual to use for OpenGL
- Configure updates for XFree86 4.0, and for BSD.
- Made it be more tolerant of bogus /etc/group files.
- When installing the PAM config file, first try to just
copy an existing ``xdm'' or ``login'' config file, so that
xscreensaver does authentication in the same way as the
rest of the system.
- New hack, nerverot.
- Added BSD kernel panic to bsod.
- New version of shadebobs.
- New version of petri.
- Updated webcollage to handle recent Altavista URL
format changes; made it search the AP photo gallery.
- Revamped command-line options of sonar and made it
properly handle subnets.
- The bubbles hack can now trickle up or down the
- The xsublim hack can now read its text from programs.
- Support for GLE version 3 in extrusion.
- Fixed compilation problems in maze.
- Fixed a rare crash in flow.
- Fixes for minor installation problems.
- Added -ignorant option to maze hack.
- Updates to critical, bsod, xflame, and flow.
- Added support for Kerberos 5 (via its Kerberos 4
- Fixed a bad leak in xteevee.
- Updated webcollage to handle recent Altavista URL
- Removed xscreensaver-demo's Ok and Cancel buttons,
since they were confusing people: all changes are now
- Made xscreensaver-demo install itself into the Gnome
- Fixed some misplaced text fields in the Motif version
of xscreensaver-demo; fixed a crash in the Gtk version
that would happen if the programs list was empty.
- Fixed a recently-introduced bug in pulsar.
- Made sierpinski3d use solid tetrahedrons instead of
- Added -trace option to xmatrix.
- Added new hacks xteevee and xspirograph.
- Fixed some bugs in xscreensaver-demo.
- Rewrote the Motif version of xscreensaver-demo to
match the new Gtk version.
- The Athena toolkit is no longer supported.
- Tweaked the xscreensaver-demo UI (Gtk only.)
- Fixed a few visual selection bugs. I think the proper
GL visual should be used with nVidia systems now.
- Made the Makefiles obey $install_prefix.
- Made the xscreensaver.spec file able to generate both
GL and non-GL packages simultaneously.
- Added new hacks ripples and sierpinski3d.
- Made xscreensaver-command -exit be silent when no
screen saver was running (instead of complaining.)
- Made webcollage and vidwhacker use xloadimage
when available (in addition to xli and xv.)
- Improved memory usage in petri and gave it a hard
cap on how much memory it can allocate.
- Added -watch option to xscreensaver-command.
- Made xscreensaver-demo come up with the
most-recently-run hack selected by default.
- Rewrote the Gtk version of xscreensaver-demo.
It's a lot easier to use now.
- Extended the format of the programs list in the
.xscreensaver file, for the benefit of the new
capabilities of xscreensaver-demo.
NOTE: you might want to delete your ~/.xscreensaver
file and allow it to be re-created! The old one
should still work, but xscreensaver-demo won't be as
- Fixed gcc dependencies in bumps and ccurve.
- New hack, extrusion.
- Some of the web sites that webcollage was using as
its sources changed formats; tweaked it to understand
the current layouts.
- Added typeahead in the password dialog: if the screen
is locked, and you unlock it by typing a character,
that key will be automatically inserted in the
password dialog (unless it is Return, Enter, Space,
or a non-printing key like Shift.)
- Made xmatrix take a -small option, since some
folks with tiny screens prefer a smaller font.
- New versions of shadebobs, lmorph, and distort.
- Added ccurve, blaster, and bumps hacks.
- Replaced forest hack with a rewritten version.
- Worked around a Xinerama server bug.
- Fixed a bug I introduced in 3.10 that caused some
hacks to print out superfluous warnings about not
having gotten enough colors.
- Made sproingies obey the -delay option.
- Fixed a portability bug in shadebobs.
- Made webcollage and vidwhacker use xli in
preference to xv, if it is available.
- Added a new source of images to webcollage.
- If running under KDE, xscreensaver will add itself to
KDE's list of screensavers (via xscreensaver.kss.)
- Improved detection of GL libraries.
- Made the password dialog include the date and time.
- New version of webcollage -- deals better with
corrupted images, and can use an http proxy.
- New hack, xsublim (run it in the background,
rather than adding it to the programs list.)
- The xscreensaver daemon was leaking a file descriptor
each time you edited your .xscreensaver file. Fixed.
- New version of shadebobs.
- Improved image selection in webcollage, and sped it
- Made configure find the right version of perl.
- Rewrote the CGI part of webcollage.
- make clean was deleting some things it shouldn't.
- Fixed a typo in the default programs list.
- Added webcollage and shadebobs hacks.
- Added a -stdout arg to vidwhacker so that it can
be used in a pipeline.
- Made petri use less memory.
- Various improvements to the Gtk port.
- Turned off PAM by default on Solaris, since PAM seems
generally to be misconfigured out-of-the-box.
- Made the --without-gtk configure option work.
- Made configure check the Gtk version number, since it
- Fixed a bug in the code that attempted to prevent
changes of screen resolution while the screen is
- Fixed a race condition in xscreensaver-demo that
could cause an X error at startup.
- Added -transparent option to deluxe.
- Added petri hack.
- Ported xscreensaver-demo to Gtk.
- Made it possible to build Motif, Gtk, and Athena
versions of xscreensaver-demo in the same directory
- Made xscreensaver-demo chase symlinks before writing
the .xscreensaver file, so that if .xscreensaver is
itself a symlink, the underlying file will be replaced
- Some Makefile and configure tweaks for Solaris and
- Made it possible to set the fire color in xflame.
- Made transparency work in TrueColor (for goop and
- Fixed a multi-head bug introduced by the virtual
- Made it so that you can't scroll the screen while the
lock dialog is up (with XFree86 virtual viewports.)
- Fixed a bug in flag that caused bob's chin to get cut
off after a few iterations.
- Made xjack be black-on-white-ish, so that it looks
less like a computer screen and more like the
typewritten paper it's supposed to be.
- New version of pulsar.
- Fixed Solaris compilation problem in phosphor.
- Made xscreensaver notice XFree86's virtual root window
hack, so that if the X server's root window is larger
than the monitor's displayable resolution, the screen
saver will limit itself to the area that actually
appears on the screen.
- Made the xscreensaver daemon do a better job of
picking the visual class that should be used for GL
programs. Less user intervention should be needed
now: you can use the logical visual name GL instead
of having to figure out by hand which one to use.
- Oops, the visual was defaulting to ``best'' instead of
``default'', because the .xscreensaver file was not being
loaded quite early enough.
- Made configure figure out how to build icmp ping
support into the sonar hack automatically.
- Made warnings about not being able to read shadow
passwords not be printed if compiled with PAM support.
- Improved PAM startup diagnostics.
- Worked around the Solaris PAM bug that was causing
crashes there, so now PAM is turned on by default.
- Made configure detect the number of arguments that
pam_strerror() takes, since on Linux, this apparently
changed between 2.0 and 2.2, sigh.
- Made the /proc/interrupts kludge look for ``PS/2 Mouse''
as well as ``keyboard''.
- Made xscreensaver notice when there has been a sudden
large jump in wall-clock time, and if so, lock right
away, instead of waiting for ``lockTimeout'' to expire
first. (Laptops need this for safer recovery from
- Added -throttle option to xscreensaver-command.
- Added phosphor, xmatrix, and pulsar hacks.
- Fixed a bug in the color allocator that sometimes
caused starfish to fall back to monochrome.
- Reduced the amount of code that runs before root
privileges are disavowed: ``normal'' and ``shadow''
passwords now do some initialization as root, but the
PAM and Kerberos authorization schemes will be
initialized while running as ``nobody''. Supposedly
this closes a potential security hole when using
- Added some more sanity checking to configure.
- Added compass, squiral, xflame, wander,
spotlight, and critical hacks.
- Added some new modes to decayscreen.
- Made deluxe work in monochrome.
- Generalized usage of the Double-Buffer server extension
in several hacks (compass, deluxe, interference,
kumppa, and moire2.)
- Fixed another visual-depth problem in rd-bomb.
- The screen saver will now defer blanking if neither
the keyboard nor the mouse could be grabbed. Instead,
it will just try again in a few minutes. This fixes
a bad interaction between xscreensaver and programs
like VMware that hold the mouse and keyboard grabbed
for a long time.
- Added a new erase mode (expanding spiral.)
- Fixed some bugs in my port of t3d.
- Added penetrate and deluxe hacks.
- When linking against Motif 2.x, also link against XPM.
- Added support for using /proc/interrupts for idle
detection on Linux. Now xscreensaver shouldn't kick
in when the user is active on a non-X virtual console.
- Upgraded to autoconf 2.13.
- Configure tweaks (sometimes -lXmu wasn't getting linked
in properly; check for _Xsetlocale in -lXintl.)
- Portability fixes for sonar.c.
- Fixed a compilation problem when you have GL but don't
- Made configure notice when MesaGL requires -lpthread.
- Made flame ignore SIGFPE (not sure if this is the
right fix; it seems only to be needed on FreeBSD.)
- Kludged rd-bomb work on visuals that are of depth 24
but that *do not* support pixmaps of depth 32.
- Fixed halo to work properly in TrueColor.
- Changed xscreensaver.spec to install the hacks in
/usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver/ by default, since that's
where recent Red Hat distributions put them.
- Added t3d hack.
- Updated versions of crystal, hopalong, and flow
- Imported demon and loop modes from xlockmore.
- Oops, the ``default-n'' visual descriptor was broken;
it was always installing a colormap if the
installColormap preference was set, meaning that
xearth, xv and friends were using the wrong
colors on 8-bit systems.
- Turned off HAVE_PING in sonar, since it compiles
on some Linux systems, but not others of similar
- Fixed an off-by-1 in distort.
- Added sonar hack.
- New version of glplanet (with stars.)
- Made all hacks exit when you type q or ESC at them,
and made them obey the WM_DELETE_WINDOW ClientMessage.
- Fixed a nonfatal buffer overrun in lament (note:
lament still doesn't work with MesaGL 3.0: it dies in
lambda_textured_triangle1(), which is Mesa's bug, not
- Added an xscreensaver.spec file, to make it easier
for other folks to generate RPMs.
- Made the password code work on HPUX in the situation
where: ``enhanced security'' is available; but not
used; but the user typed a password more than 8
characters long anyway. FTSOHPUX.
- Made locking work when passwd aging is enabled.
- Added support for PAM (Pluggable Authentication
Modules.) It is still turned off by default, though,
since it doesn't seem to work on Solaris 2.6, and has
been behaving erratically on Red Hat 5.1.
- Made each possible authentication method be tried in
turn until one succeeds; this means that Kerberos is
being used, we will first check Kerberos, and if that
fails, will then consult the local password file.
Likewise with PAM.
- Save and restore the bits under the passwd dialog,
to avoid leaving a black rectangle behind when
unlocking is cancelled.
- Not everyone has sys/select.h, sigh...
- Some fixes to reflect.
- Configure tweaks.
- Made it log unsuccessful attempts to unlock the screen
- Fixed a bug where xscreensaver-demo could be seeing
a different programs list than xscreensaver did.
- The xscreensaver daemon no longer links against Motif
or Athena: demo-mode and the preferences panel are no
longer built in to the daemon, but are now handled by
an external program, xscreensaver-demo.
(I decided that this, along with the recent addition
of the .xscreensaver config file, justified bumping
the version number to 3.00, since this is a fairly
major architectural change.)
- Lines in the *programs resource may now begin with
the character ``-'', meaning ``don't run this hack.''
In this way, it's possible to disable a hack without
throwing away the information about it (making it
easier to change your mind later.) Eventually the
preferences/demo mode GUI should represent this as a
checkbox or something.
- Fixed a short race condition where it was possible for
xscreensaver to die with a BadWindow error if it was
blanking the screen just as another window was being
- Made it possible to disable specific modes in bsod.
- Fixed a bug that was making pipes generate way too
many valves. Made the viewpoint in pipes be selected
randomly instead of always being -10 degrees.
- Fixed a bug in the XSHM code, in the case where the
server supports the XSHM extension but is not the same
machine as the client.
- Made rd-bomb default to taking up the whole screen.
- Made it not try to do fading/unfading if no PseudoColor
- Initial attempt at supporting VT-locking (doesn't work
- Eliminated the captureStdout resource; now
captureStderr controls both streams.
- Added -capture-stderr and -no-capture-stderr
- Added glplanet hack.
- When a hack is selected with xscreensaver-command
-select, that hack will be used until further notice
(until the saver turns off, or another activation
command is issued.)
- Made xscreensaver-command print error messages:
the xscreensaver daemon now responds to ClientMessage
events by writing a response message on a window
property, instead of just writing to its stderr.
- Made the ~/.xscreensaver file be automatically reloaded
when the file date changes.
- The password dialog and splash screen no longer depend
on Motif or Athena. This should clear up a number of
focus problems, and is the first step on the path
toward moving all of the Motif/Athena/whatever code
out of the xscreensaver daemon, and into external
- Don't complain about LessTif 0.86 any more, since the
new password dialog makes that problem go away.
- Configure tweaks for Irix 6.5, SunOS 5.something.
- New -reflect option to distort.
- Added reading and writing of a ~/.xscreensaver file,
so that the Preferences panel can save its settings.
- New version of rubik.
- Added -select N argument to xscreensaver-command.
- Oops, left out some of the bubbles3d files...
- The cursor was invisible in the password dialog. Fixed.
- Made configure warn against MesaGL 2.6.
- Fixed X error at startup when using non-default visual.
- New version of crystal, ant, and atlantis from
- New hack, bubble3d.
- Added some new modes to bsod.
- Changed the order in which -lSM and -lICE are linked
to be after Motif instead of before (Lesstif on Irix
- Work around a bash bug in configure.
- Tweaked HPUX paths again. FTSOHPUX.
- Made configure recommend against LessTif 0.86, due
to a bug in that version that causes a security hole
in the screen locking code. LessTif 0.87 will fix it.
- Made all of the --with options to configure accept
a directory option as well (so that --with-motif=/FOO
will add -I/FOO/include -L/FOO/lib). I believe this is
the Configure Party Line of how do to such things.
- Fixed a bug where the mouse was left un-grabbed
after the first time the graphics hack was changed
(simplified all of the mouse-grabbing logic.)
- Maybe possibly perhaps made vidwhacker really not
leave stray xv windows around. This time for sure.
- Added a new erase mode (random dots fizzling out.)
- Added -prefs argument to xscreensaver-command,
that brings up the Preferences dialog directly (it
seems that nobody ever noticed the Preferences button
on the Demo Mode dialog, maybe this will help.)
- Added a splash screen. Turn it off with *splash:false.
- Better macsbug text in bsod.
- New version of distort with many new modes.
- Plugged a leak in coral.
- Tweaked configure for HPUX.
- Removed some compiler warnings.
- More consistent usage of stderr versus stdout.
- More diagnostics should an X error occur.
- Fixed a possible crash in SGI-specific unfading code.
- Improved version of distort.
- Made lament compile against OpenGL 1.0 (though it
still requires 1.1 to work properly.)
- Updated my email address and home page.
- Improved motion in rd-bomb.
- Added XSHM (shared memory extension) support to the
distort, interference, moire, rd-bomb, and
swirl hacks, which speeds them up a bit.
- Added lament hack.
- Tweaked the order of the -L options again.
- Cleaned up configure's --help message.
- Added kumppa hack.
- Smarter maze-solving algorithm in maze.
- Took xlyap out of the default list of hacks, since
it's just incredibly buggy (and slow.) Maybe someday
someone will fix it...
- Added distort hack, but didn't add it to the default
list (yet) because it's still too slow.
- Made the Athena demo dialog look more like the Motif
version; it has a text-entry field now, too.
- Made the Athena password dialog echo asterisks, like
Motif does, instead of using a flyspeck font.
- Some random configure tweaks.
- Added a timestamp resource that makes the -verbose
messages include the time at which they were printed.
- The fix for SGI's ``scheme'' nonsense broke things, and
let the user's ``*background'' resource show through.
Fixed it in a different way.
- Added support for the DPMS server extension (Display
Power Management System.)
- Made configure advertize the --enable-subdir option a
little more, since that seemed to cause some people
stress. Also, made that directory be built into the
xscreensaver executable, as a hardcoded prefix to
$PATH. (Might help, shouldn't hurt.)
- Made configure prefer the two-arg gettimeofday to the
one-arg version, since AIX doesn't have any prototypes.
- Made it work with Xaw3d (the 3D Athena library.)
- Made make install create directories as necessary.
- New version of lmorph from Sverre.
- Added crystal and discreet hacks from xlockmore.
- Added a new mode to bsod.
- Made xscreensaver-command -time use different words.
(It now describes the two states as ``screen blanked
since...'' and ``screen non-blanked since...'' instead of
``active since...'' and ``inactive since...'' which a lot
of people interpreted as meaning the opposite of what
- Improved some error messages, in the hopes of making
the distinction between the xscreensaver and
xscreensaver-command programs more obvious.
- Rewrote (and reorganized) parts of the xscreensaver and
xscreensaver-command manual pages.
- Renamed xscreensaver's -lock command-line option to
be -lock-mode, to avoid confusion with the -lock
option to xscreensaver-command, which does a totally
- Removed xscreensaver's -demo command-line option for
a similar reason; use xscreensaver-command -demo
- Disabled SGI's ``scheme'' nonsense in a better way than
fully-qualifying the background colors in every single
- Fixed some other minor cosmetic problems when *sgiMode
is turned on.
- Fixed an X error in bsod -root (how ironic...)
- Fixed a bug that caused the mouse to sometimes not be
grabbed properly (meaning the window manager menu could
pop up over the demo-mode display.)
- Fixed a bug that made the stderr output sometimes get
- Fixed a bug that made the demo-mode scrollbar move too
- Protected against a possible buffer overflow.
- Made vidwhacker not leave stray xv windows around.
- New version of ant so that Bagley doesn't calve.
- Make configure on AIX get XShm from the right library.
- One file was missing from the tar file. Fixed.
- Oops, atlantis wasn't being built by default. Fixed.
- Added epicycle hack.
- Added interference hack.
- Added truchet hack.
- Added bsod hack.
- Added some new modes to vidwhacker.
- Added a -window-id argument to most hacks, so that they
can draw on arbitrary externally-provided windows.
- Synched with xlockmore 4.11a01.
- Added flow hack.
- Added atlantis GL hack.
- Renamed puzzle hack to jigsaw, since xlock already
had a different mode called puzzle.
- Made it self-configure properly when Motif 2.1.0 is
being used (requires -lXp now, sigh...)
- Made flag able to do XPM images.
- New look for the xscreensaver logo (xroger).
- Fixed compilation error on Suns with adjunct passwords.
- Got multi-architecture builds working again.
- Some configure tweaks for building on HPUX and Solaris.
- Fixed bug in decayscreen.
- Fixed typo in passwd.c.
- Made cynosure not die when colormap is full.
- Added cynosure hack.
- Added moire2 hack.
- Tweaked erase.c some more.
- Made unfading a bit smoother.
- Added vidwhacker hack (not installed by default.)
- Added stairs hack.
- Split escher into cage and moebius, as per
- Changed subprocess handling to use sigaction() instead
of signal() if it's available (this is necessary for
SCO but should work fine on other systems too.)
- Various other tweaks.
- Better fix for the Motif drag-and-die lossage.
- Put in some kludges to work around a LessTif bug.
- XScreenSaver is known to work with LessTif 0.82 now.
- Made fading work on high-end SGI video hardware.
- Fixed another SGI-specific bug in screen grabbing;
will the madness never cease?
- Fixed another crash in xlyap.
- Made decayscreen do directions other than down.
- Improved puzzle.
- Fixed a crash in xlyap.
- Added CDE info to the man page, removed cde.txt.
- Configure tweaks for Zippy.
- Turned off the signal handling in bubbles because
it was sometimes failing to die.
- Added hacks/xscreensaver-sgigl.c to make it possible
to run SGI's ElectroPaint hack (/usr/demos/bin/ep)
with xscreensaver. Finally!
- Fixed a buffer overrun in the locking code that some
wily, malicious cracker must have slipped in.
- Disabled Motif drag-and-drool in the dialog box
buttons, since it's broken in some old versions of
- Added README.debugging.
- Added puzzle hack.
- Added xlyap hack.
- Added default-n as a visual name, so that one can
have -install on by default, but turn it off for
certain poorly-behaved hacks (like xv.)
- Added support for grabbing frames of external video
(on SGI) to the screen-grabbing hacks (decayscreen,
slidescreen, slip, blitspin, and puzzle.)
- Improved look of tiles in slidescreen; fixed its
color allocation problem.
- Tweaked blitspin, added it to the default list.
- Added lissie, mountain, triangle, worm,
rotor, and ant from xlockmore.
- Updated sierpinski, galaxy, and lisa.
- Thickened the lines in braid and lmorph.
- Updated VMS makefiles.
- Renamed fract to vines.
- Added xjack hack.
- Made a few more hacks use erase.c, and added a few
more wipe styles.
- Fixed compilation problem with Sun's version of OpenGL.
- Added ability to use sigaction() instead of signal()
to work around a SCO kernel bug.
- Fixed colormap bugs in rd-bomb; sped up coral.
- Configure tweaks for *BSD.
- New hacks rd-bomb and coral.
- New version of maze with some new algorithms.
- New colorized version of rocks.
- Fixed a bug in qix on 64-bit machines.
- Fixed a bug in the -time option.
- Fixed a bug in configure related to LessTif.
- Minor header tweaks in windows.c and flag.c.
- Made multi-architecture ($VPATH) builds work properly.
- Merged new GL stuff from xlockmore (rubik, morph3d.)
- Fixed intermittent crashes in imsmap and munch.
- Added fadeplot hack from xlockmore.
- Merged in VMS support from Patrick Moreau.
- Fixed a MIT-SCREEN-SAVER-related crash, and tweaked
configure to detect the extra-random -Xss library.
- HP configure tweaks. Detect and warn about LessTif.
- Fixed low-color behavior of goop, pyro, starfish,
greynetic, flame, halo, and moire.
- Fixed flicker in pipes. Fixed 3d in bouboule.
- Added munch hack.
- Added basic dependencies to the Makefile.in files.
- Fixes for compiling with the MIT saver extension.
- Made the yow/fortune program be a configure option.
- Various configure tweaks.
- Added goop and starfish hacks.
- Added colomap cycling to halo.
- Made attraction use the new colormap allocator.
- Added better $PATH diagnostics.
- There was a bug in frand! Color selection should be
much improved now.
- Converted to use configure instead of imake.
- ANSI C is now required.
- Added Kerberos locking support, from Nat Lanza.
- Made the stderr text use overlay planes, if possible.
- Reworked the xlockmore compatibility stuff again.
- Added gears, superquadrics, escher, pipes,
and sproingies hacks (depend on OpenGL.)
- Fixed some bugs, made fading be a little smoother.
- Made it work with multi-headed displays.
- Generalized sub-process management (Unix sucks!)
- Added interactive mouse frobbing to Julia.
- Added (untested) support for HPUX shadow passwords.
- Made normal non-shadow passwords be checked if the
shadow passwords aren't accessible for some reason.
- Removed *colorPrograms and *monoPrograms resources:
made it possible to specify the desired visual on a
- Cleaned up / restructured the driver: no more globals.
- Made the Motif and Athena dialogs share more code.
- Probably fixed some Athena colormap-installation bugs.
- Fixed screen grabbing (cmap) on SGI 12-bit PseudoColor.
- Fixed divide-by-zero in bright random colormaps.
- Added an improved version of xlock's flag hack.
- Made unfading work better, and not flicker on SGIs.
- Added sphere, forest, lisa hacks from xlockmore.
- Added (untested) support for SunOS Adjunct passwords.
- Improved colors and colormap cycling of many hacks.
- Cleaned up xlockmore compatibility layer.
- Made blitspin able to grab an image off the screen.
- Ported swirl and bouboule hacks from xlockmore.
- Made the driver more careful about not leaving bits on
the screen, or allowing other windows to raise
themselves: it now re-blanks the screen every so often.
- Added -time option to xscreensaver-command.
- Improved SGI screen-grabbing some more: now it can grab
TrueColor screens into PseudoColor windows and have the
colors still come out semi-reasonably.
- Made slidescreen and decayscreen work better on
SGIs when windows of different visuals are present, by
using the XReadDisplay() extension to get a true 24-bit
image out of the frame buffer.
- Made noseguy be in color, if compiled with XPM.
- Ported braid, drift, fract, galaxy, grav,
ifs, julia, laser, lightning, penrose,
sierpinski, slip, spiral, and strange hacks
- Merged hopalong hack with a more recent version.
- Added cde.txt.
- Added deco, moire, and kaleidescope hacks.
- Merged in support for non-Motif locking and demo mode.
- Made blitspin and bubbles work in TrueColor.
- Fixed a stupid bug I introduced in imsmap.
- Added poly and gravity options to qix.
- Added support for SGI SCREEN_SAVER extension.
- Made fade and unfade work on 8-bit SGIs.
- Made the dialog boxes more Motify.
- Added bubbles hack.
- Added lmorph hack.
- Added viscosity and mouse-control to attraction.
- Fixed possible bad color choices in qix and attraction.
- Added ramp-mode to halo.
- Added a new RNG, which is faster and more portable
than using the RNG in libc.
- Made locking work on SCO.
- Various other minor tweaks that I don't remember.
- Made it capture the stdout/stderr of its subprocesses
and present them on the screensaver window itself.
- Made demo mode work correctly with non-default visuals
and color maps, instead of always using the defaults.
- Added -visual argument to all included screenhacks.
- Support for the R6 MIT-SCREEN-SAVER server extension.
- Made the demo mode list scroll properly.
- Added pedal hack.
- Fixed some private-colormap oddities in slidescreen,
decayscreen, and xroger. Fixed apparent conservation-
of-mass problem in pyro; made the shrapnel round.
- Minor tweaks for IRIX5; fixed locking race condition.
- Minor tweaks for X11R6.
- Fixes for non-default visuals.
- Fixed bug in color blitspin; added default image.
- Added diagnostics to noseguy. Fixed off-by-one
error in flame. Added some missing casts.
- Added flame hack.
- Fixed a minor Motif dialog text field bug.
- Fixed yet another XPointer-not-defined-in-R4 bug.
- Added support for shadow password files.
- Fixed some Motif-related locking bugs.
- Added diagnostics when locking is disabled.
- Made blitspin able to use the XPM library.
- Added decayscreen hack.
| 1.17||some time in 1993|
| 1.16||some time in 1993|
| 1.15||some time in 1993|
- Broke the driver up into more source files.
- Moved the hacks into their own directory.
- Made all time parameters accept the 00:00:00 syntax,
so that even the parameters which are normally read as
minutes can be specified in seconds.
- Added colormap cycling to imsmap.
- Made hyper work with K&R compilers.
| 1.14||some time in 1992|
- Added orbit option to attraction hack.
- Added lock-timeout option.
- Cleaned up options of maze hack.
| 1.09||some time in 1992|
- Added demo mode, and locking.
- Added maze hack.
- Added norotate option to rocks hack.
- Works when run from XDM before anyone logs in.
- Sped up imsmap.
- Can use xv as a slideshow without using up colormap
entries while the screen is not blanked.
- Fixed a BadDrawable error in non-XIdle mode.
- Added blitspin and imsmap.
| 1.01||early 1992|
- Current list of included hacks is now: qix, helix,
rorschach, attraction, greynetic, rocks, pyro,
hopalong, and noseguy.