Adblock Plus for Safari

Any of you using Adblock Plus for Safari? As far as I can tell, it just doesn't fucking work. Domains that I've added to my filter list are still loading, and I don't see way to feed it a URL and ask "are you gonna block this or not" like Privoxy had.

The only reason I'm exploring using something other than Privoxy is that proxies can only block non-SSL connections, and that's finally beginning to matter.) (No I don't want to MITM myself, that's too much work.)

Previously, previously.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. John Adams says:

Additionally MitM'ing yourself will break on sites that use pinning (paypal, twitter, google, ebay) unless you've built and trusted a local CA, which is a terrible pain.

Adblock plus doesn't work well for me in Safari and now it's beginning to fuck up on sites in Chrome. :(

2. Mariachi says:

Adblock (nonplus) seems to work pretty well.

I tried it, and it doesn't block youtube preroll ads, so it is dead to me.

• David Glover says:

I use ClickToPlugin to convert the YouTube flash player to regular HTML5 video. This has the pleasant side-effect of removing adverts, both pre-roll and overlay.

• grahams says:

FWIW, I have Adblock (getadblock.com), Ghostery (for tracking bullshit) and YouTube5 extension installed... I'm not sure which one kills pre-roll ads, but I never see them.

3. Mike says:

I use Ghostery, which works better than any version of Adblock on any browser I've ever used. I use on Safari and Chrome (Mac and PC). Hopefully they will develop an extension for the upcoming Safari in iOS 8 too.

4. Anonnymoose says:

Eh.

I run a BIND9 instance that returns NXDOMAIN for the advertisers on my blocklists. Seems like it would only take a simple perl script to pre-populate a zone file with domains from Adblock(whatever).

• Anthony says:

I use a custom /etc/hosts file with a long, long (500kB) list of advertisers that are all set to 127.0.0.1, but I still get a significant number of ads. Including the pre-roll ads on YouTube. It's a start, but it's not going to get rid of all ads.