JEROS: Jellyfish Elimination Robotic Swarm

A team of unmanned swimming robots designed to scour an area and grind up all the jellyfish they find, at a rate of 2,000 pounds an hour.

The jellyfish-eradicating bots feature two motors that move them forward and backward and rotate them 360 degrees. Users program the robots to tell them what area they want cleared and then drop the bots into the water. The JEROS have cameras to help them see where jellyfish blooms are. They also automatically calculate their own routes and motor around in formation without human help. Once they encounter jellyfish, JEROS suck the jellies up and shred them with a propeller.

Myeong's team has been working on JEROS since 2009, according to KAIST. This year, the engineers got several robots to cooperate in formation to shred jellies more efficiently.

Previously, previously, previously, previously.

Tags: , , , ,

1. wow. and maybe the jelly fish will develop robot jellyfish, to kill the swimming robots and escalate an arms race....

2. As I am in Port Douglas right now this is Relevant To My Interests.

3. Jordan Lowy says:

Insert Skynet joke here.

4. why are there no cats riding around on those?

5. zompist says:

How long till the jellyfish hack them and TURN THEM ON US?

6. they should have nets to prevent them from coming into the areas you can swim in, but if i were in Port Douglas this time of year with this weather, i'd most definitely carry some vinegar to the beach with me

7. Sorry, this was directed to Jeremy...sorry for butting into your post, stranger person...

8. phuzz says:

Is shredding with a propeller enough to kill a jelly fish? I'm sure I remember reading about at least one species that can survive that...

• Elusis says:

Yeah why am I remembering that shredding jellyfish makes more jellyfish? Maybe that's starfish.

9. I thought that we were still well in advance of when they could even *possibly* be active! *shudder*

10. You missed record-setting winds last night btw. There are power outages and fell trees everywhere!

11. Steve DeRose says:

Have you reported this to People for the Ethical Treatment of Jellyfish?

12. Ricky Connolly says:

PURGE THE JELLIED MENACE!
    SUFFER NOT A JELLYTIC TO LIVE!

13. Not yet but I hear they have a no-shred shelter for box jellyfish in the works.

14. bq Mackintosh says:

Can't we harvest them and hook them up to batteries?

15. andr00.sceneid.net says:

I was really curious about how the shreddy part works. Do you want to see videos of this thing's propellor shredding jellyfish? There are two here: