City Trashes Crisco Can Artist Installed At Fist To 'Ease Bankruptcy Pain'

Previously.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Colar says:

Sorry for my dumb question, but I'm European and I don't know what it is about Crisco. I first heard of it in a video from Louis CK ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VABSoHYQr6k ) and I don't understand the reference.

Thanks for your answer if there is one, and sorry for my bad English (don't hesitate to correct me, I'm still learning).

2. marytee says:

NelC - Greetings from Detroit. You have it correctly defined.

3. nooj says:

Speaking of getting shafted, what is this business? (Link at top of OP article.)
    SFO Cracking Down On Rideshare Drivers With Citizen Arrests
    Citizen arrests? Is that even a thing in America? Doesn't SFO have police whose specific job is traffic flow and prevention of trespassing?

"Citizen's arrest" basically means "I am detaining you until the real cops arrive". As distinguished from "kidnapping". Among other things, it's the legal basis by which DNA's security staff can legally cuff someone without being cops themselves.

In this case, the "arrest" results in a citation, not being taken to jail.

But yeah, it's some serious bullshit.

You'd think SFO would have their own cops or cop-like objects for this, yes.

• 205guy says:

It's weirder than that: the SFO cops observe the infraction, then the airport official makes the citizen's arrest. I assume it is then processed by the cop. Not sure why it needs to be that way, but there's a lot of gray areas here.

I always thought the citizen's arrest was a US phenomenon, what with our propensity for vigilantism.

• Jens Kilian says:

Germany also has a form of it: Jedermannparagraph.

• Ian says:

The US inherited it from British Common Law ('what everyone knows is the law'), probably. We now have it in statute.

• Nick Lamb says:

Notably the UK law doesn't actually care whether you're a citizen, neither the Common Law nor the current statute authorising this sort of arrest focus on citizenship, the statute just talks about a person who isn't a constable (police officer), which could easily be a tourist or other non-citizen.

It does require that the person arrested have committed (or those arresting them reasonably believe so) an indictable offence. The average person couldn't be expected to know a complete list of such offences - but an American could understand it as roughly a felony, a somewhat serious crime not something trivial like littering.

It also requires that summoning a constable to perform the arrest wasn't possible for some reason, e.g. the criminal is fleeing and will otherwise escape, or they're about to hurt somebody, something like that.

So if this offence isn't serious enough OR if there are officers standing around who could arrest people instead but they don't, then in the UK a "citizen's arrest" would be unlawful.

4. phuzz says:

Some people still need it explaining.

5. jsl says:

You can tell he's an artist because of the (semi) bald head and the goatee bush.

• hattifattener says:

That, with the black jacket over the black t-shirt, is kind of a giveaway isn't it.