Fucking Zynga

Dear Lazyweb, can anyone tell me how to disconnect my Words With Friends account from my Facebook account?

I'm sick to death of it sending me push-notifications that someone I'm friends with on Facebook but have never played Scrabble with has played a word. There seems to be no way to turn this shit off.

Things I have tried:

1. De-authorizing the Words With Friends app on Facebook. This causes the the iOS app to go into a loop demanding that you re-authorize it.

2. Deleting and re-installing the iOS app. That stops the auth-loop, but does not stop the "notifications about non-friends" issue, and also makes it nag you daily saying "Hey, you used to log in with Facebook! Log in with Facebook okay??"

So I guess I can't do this myself, since it's stuck in their DB. I'll just mail them and ask them to delete that. Ha ha ha.

1. This joke appears to be the closest thing to a non-FAQ support page.
  2. So I go to their Facebook page hoping to message them. There's no option to message them. There's no option to post a question on the wall except as a reply to a previous post from them announcing an new feature in a different game. WTF.

3. So I waste my time trying to strip my complaint down to 140 characters and ask them on Twitter. To the shock of nobody, I get no reply.

4. Then on a completely different, unlinked web site, I find this page. I get a brush-off auto-reply saying "update to the latest version of the app, which will direct you to the FAQ instead of letting you actually contact us."

The fact that they are still nagging me with updates about my Facebook friends when they no longer have authorization on my Facebook account means that they have stored an offline copy of my friends tree, which I'm pretty sure is against Facebook's application terms of service. I'm sure both parties care about this a lot.

Yeah yeah, that's what I get for dealing with amoral scumbags like Zynga in the first place. I even paid them money to make the ads go away, so I'm part of the problem. But hey, I like playing scrabble on my phone.

Remember when a paying customer could actually email support? Those were the days.

Previously.

Tags: , ,

1. gronk says:

How to deal with zynga: setup a different facebook account for gaming, see that account being spammed to death with zynga gaming messages. Block every message from the other facebook account to your mail/fb account.

2. Michael Koziarski says:

chances are they haven't stored your friends offline, they're just relying on the fact that Facebook friends are symmetric and none of your friends have opted out. Once they have your profile associated with your Facebook 'id' they can do most of the annoying stuff they can when you authorised them.

You could try re-associating with a bogus Facebook account, that *might*at least overwrite their association with your profile and reduce the spam

3. Erbo says:

In the "not overlooking the obvious" department, if you want to play Scrabble on your phone, have you tried playing Scrabble on your phone?

(N.B.: It's possible that your friends don't play real Scrabble instead of Zyngified fake Scrabble. It's also possible that you hate and despise EA as much as you hate and despise Zynga, or more.)

4. Doug Orleans says:

If you give up on Words With Friends & EA Scrabble (I find both apps to be incredibly aggravating), I recommend Wordfeud or Words By Post. But for some reason it's hard to get people to try a non-Zynga scrabble-clone app, so you may lack opponents.

5. Mitch Wright says:

Perhaps there is something else in play here. I have my WWF connected to my facebook account and don't have the issues you describe. I'm using the free version of their app... perhaps that makes a difference?!?

6. Chris O says:

On Jelly Bean you can stop all notifications from any app. Useful feature for spammy apps like this.

You can do that on iOS too, but there's no way to stop the spam notifications without also stopping the useful ones like "it's your move".

• Chris O says:

This is true. Fact is, Zynga ruins and shits on everything. Words with Friends sends you notifications asking you to start a game with random people. That isn't what notifications are for!

You might understand this kind of behaviour from low budget apps/games, where small start-ups are trying to get people to use their software more but not from a massive company like Zynga.

Recently facebook has started to adopt their policies. I've started getting notifications from facebook saying people I hardly knew had updated their status. Rage inducing!