Have you accepted JWZ into your heart?

I'm told that this is a thing that happens now:

Previously.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Nick Lamb says:

So the user experience is: type a perfectly good URL into the browser, an annoying bar appears which insists you got the URL "wrong", because the URL you tried to visit isn't giving a fistful of cash to ABP. If you click "No, I didn't" then it whitelists that URL just for you, but not for anybody else who can still fall into the same trap. If you click "Yes" you've now "opted in" to a new programme where ABP gets money for directing you where their sponsors want you to go instead of where you wanted to go. Good thing you're not seeing any adverts though.

If you actually want to fix the problem, then you need to install yet another add-on, mess about, disable the add-on that caused the problem and hope that someone actually reads your submission and values correctness over revenue. Good luck with that.

I presume the road this is heading down eventually leads to AdBlockPlusBlock, followed by the revenue-generating AbBlockPlusBlockPlusBlockPlusBlockPlus, which for a low price of $10 per month (first month free!) puts your browser back the way it was before you wasted your time installing the extensions.

• Karellen says:

Chill. Yo yo yo. Thats why i gots this TraceBusterBuster. See, when a motherfucker try to bust your trace with a TraceBuster, this motherfucker is gonna bust the motherfucking TraceBuster that's busting your... er, er, trace!

• Adam says:

Or you could remove the checkmark from the "Correct mistyped internet addresses" entry in the "Typo corrections" tab in the "Adblock Plus Filter Preferences" window.

It defaulted to off on my computer.

2. luddite says:

i for one welcome adp protecting me from internet maleficence like this and shepherding thusly to jw.org

3. Matthew says:

Jehovah's Witness Zombies?

4. Homer says:

Noticed this yesterday. i was going to i47.tinypic.com/blahblah, and it wanted me to goto i43.tinypic.com/blahblah - which was a very different picture...

5. Jed Davis says:

I had it offer to "correct" http://www.mit.edu to http://www.fit.edu. (No, I did not mean web.mit.edu.) I was at a distinct loss for words, or at least printable words, but I think your "correction" wins.

(For context, I wasn't even really using it — I'd turned off the default filters, and was just keeping it around in case I felt like blocking something that NoScript didn't make sufficiently non-annoying, so I deleted it with no second thoughts.)