1994 called

(I wish this picture had an old-timey sepia filter on it.)

I see Instagram has finally discovered this whole "World Wide Web" thing. Welcome to The Nineties, guys!

Maybe someday we can welcome them to the Twenty-First Century when they finally discover RSS.

At that point, their service might be rise above "utterly irrelevant and undiscoverable from the world in which I live."

But hey, that whole "walled garden" approach worked out pretty well for industry titans like Compuserve and AOL! I hear they have exclusive content from Soundgarden!

Tags: , ,

1. pavel_lishin says:

Did you see the near-riot when they dared open up their system to those filthy Android users? I hear that their users left in droves*!

*The value of a drove is yet unknown, but theorized to be somewhere in the double digits.

2. MattyJ says:

1994 called, they want their Corel PhotoPoint filters back.

Yeah, I'm in my 40's but I fail to see the draw of making modern pictures look like they did before most Instagram users were born. Nostalgia for an era they didn't live in? I guess that's a thing. (You don't like the old tyme bikes? .)

We'll all still be talking about Instagram by the end of next summer. Not.

• Sean says:

May I introduce you to Steampunk?

• MattyJ says:

I have an easier time understanding a mashup of things that didn't actually exist previously, rather than using modern technology to make something that's better, crappier in a historically accurate way.

Like those people with antennas for their TVs. Ha ha. Idiots.

• gryazi says:

You know the bitrate on broadcast ATSC is generally a bit higher than when crappified to fit into a cable network's idea of channel width, right?

• MattyJ says:

Yep. That's one reason I don't have cable. Or satellite. I decided to leave the 90's behind and stream TV over this new-fangled inter-global-hyper-net thingy.

• Owen W. says:

Analog distortion and degradation is more visually pleasing than digital degradation. Better to add lots of softness to an image and reduce the color palette because it will hide the jpeg artifacts better. Also our brains have been trained to associate certain types of degradation with certain time periods, and therefore with certain levels of nostalgia. What we've proved is that "nostalgia" is literally a bit in our brain that we can flip on demand.

3. Joe says:

Sepia (click through to get animated version)

4. skreidle says:

I do use Instagram to share photos with friends, not all of whom are on other mutual social networks, but I never use the stupid filters.

However, it Blew. My. Mind. that the photos I uploaded were, by default, and without the use of a third party service, completely in excessable from outside the Instagram app on a mobile device.

5. Ryan says:

I have doubts about whether this works on gifs, but if the fancy to apply filters to photos on the fly hits you again, this is neat:

6. Joe says:

Instagram should add the ability to upload video, that you have to fast-forward/rewind like tape. And has the quality of tape.

• John Bloom says:

Every so often you should have to take it out and use a pencil to pull the magnetic tape back in. Also, the videos should degrade every time you watch it and copies should be degraded quality as well. time. Instagram: I'm available for consulting!