XScreenSaver and Gnome 3

Dear Lazyweb, can you correct the installation instructions for XScreenSaver and Gnome 3?

I'm told that the instructions in the man page for installing XScreenSaver on Gnome 2 systems no longer work on Gnome 3 systems.* Can one of you with access to Gnome 3 please figure out the new way to do this stuff?

I also don't know whether the KDE instructions are still correct, so it would be nice to have an update on that as well.

On another note, if you run Linux in Japanese, and are capable of re-compiling xscreensaver, it would be helpful if you would take a look at this bug and help us figure out what goes wrong when you have non-ASCII characters in your password. Particularly see comment #20 and later.

Tags: , , , ,
Current Music: L7 -- Shitlist ♬

1. mhoye says:

Hmmm. There's no screensaver at all in Gnome 3 as far as I can tell, but I'll look into it this evening.

I have run into a small problem with using a fingerprint scanner instead of a password to unlock the screen; it doesn't feed back whether or not it's been a successful swipe or not, it just waits until the countdown times out before succeeding or failing. Thinkpad T60, and the fingerprint scanner software on Fedora sucks for a variety of reasons, but would you prefer to hear about that through bugs.launchpad.net?

I prefer bug reports by email, but the answer will be the same either way: "Beats me. Your PAM config for that device must be fucked up. Run with -log to see."

2. Jon says:

Culturally, I'd have thought GNOME 3 users and Xscreensaver users would be orthogonal, but what do I know.

That CADT link has never been more appropriate, by the way.

Yeah, well, eventually they'll make it impossible to run Gnome 2, Gnome 3 will be installed by default, and I suspect there will still be some people in the world who'd still like to have a working screen saver.

• phuzz says:

a working screensaver?
        In my day we had flying toasters and we were happy. Kids today, I don't know.

(and for those that can't see the point in having a screen saver when most of us use LCD screens, I have a Sony LCD at home that gets some sort of screen burn after about 20 mins [it's got worse over the years]. Now I can think of no physical reason why this should happen, but it does, and so a screen saver is useful for me)

• Adolf Osborne says:

It's called image retention. It happens.

A complete layperson's rundown (just because I'm strangely not in the mood to be pedantic):

The little liquid crystals that twist (literally) to move the light around eventually find themselves liking a particular orientation, and tend to stay that way for a bit after they've been requested to do something else. In other words, they act like a tired old man: Capable of moving quickly, but simply unable to do so after being in one position for a long time.

I've got some lovely IPS-panel touchscreen displays on dispatch consoles that almost always display exactly the same image 24*7*365 (for several years, now), and they're quite badly messed up with image retention. I theorize that perhaps a sufficient amount of downtime would fix it, but it's my job to ensure that such downtime doesn't happen. I hopefully will never know if my theory works. (Screensavers are not applicable to this application.)

• phuzz says:

Thanks for the explanation, I'd guessed it was something like that. What I'm wondering now is why it seems to be getting worse as this monitor gets older. Perhaps it's not able to use the same voltage to refresh each pixel any more. Shame, 10 years ago when I bought it, it was a lovely monitor.

• Adolf Osborne says:

Voltage might be an issue, and might explain the gradual decline, but I would expect that to cause other visible problems as well.

10 years ago, I was still spending my money on the last generation of rather awesome CRTs, so I don't have any LCDs that old to compare notes on.

That all said: Most of the problems I've seen with LCDs have been related to bad capacitors. If you feel up to it, just take the thing apart and look for any that are obviously swollen or leaky. It's a cheap and easy fix if that's all that's going on with it, but kind of a shot in the dark...

• Pretty much spot on.

3. Line Noise says:

I can confirm that the KDE instructions are correct. I just installed XScreenSaver on my Fedora machine at work running KDE 4 and followed the instructions to get it working.

FYI, the file on Fedora to replace is /usr/libexec/kde4/kscreenlocker

4. In my experience anything that worked in Gnome 2 doesn't in Gnome 3. It won't be fixed because it has been decided that that the fictional target audience has no need for it.

5. hellpe says:

Just stumbled upon this post by googling "xscreensaver gnome 3". So here are my findings.

Officialy it's over : Gnome 3 hasn't got any screensaver anymore (it just puts the monitor in sleep mode), and won't ever support this feature in the future. According to their mailing list, that'll be the job of someone else - if someone really wants to write a Gnome Shell extension for that purpose. Ubuntu plans to add it back themselves. Also, it seems that xscreensaver won't ever work, but I just tried to install it on my Arch Linux setup and it runs fine, at first glance. If you want, I can keep you informed if I manage to make xscreensaver work fine.

And please excuse my writing mistakes if any, English is not my native language.