I'm on a boat^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H in a Zeppelin, addendum.

T-Pain couldn't make it, so I got to tag along with a bunch of Google folks on a 90 minute Zeppelin tour of the South Bay. It was absolutely incredible! As you can probably guess from the photos, the salt evaporators were my favorite part.

Tags: , , ,

1. mark242 says:

That's a hell of a lot of dials, knobs, levers, and pulleys for what is ostensibly a balloon with a couple of fans attached to it. What are all the controls?

It actually looked pretty simple to me. There's basic avionics stuff like the altimeter; radio controls; controls for rotation, speed, and fuel mixture of all three rotors; flaps; controls for transferring fuel between various tanks. All the stuff on the left side is duplicated on the right, but it looked like the right side had analog versions of many of the digital displays on the left. The stuff on the ceiling is all circuit breakers. Somewhere in there are pressure sensors and controls for dumping ballast water.

Also, right in front of the pilot's chair was a plain-old Garmin GPS.

• lionsphil says:

I did notice an amusingly high number of photos of all the [i]buttons[/i]. (Well, er, and fuses.)

I also like that a deadly-force sign is presented in tatty black-and-white on a cubicle wall segment.

2. inoah says:

I'm disappointed the cabin isn't larger. I'd love to arrange a fancy cocktail party on an airship someday.

3. I want one. Please arrange to have it delivered to my personal ZeppelinPort ®™

4. Salt evaporation is pretty neat to film from the air. We flew over these little ones in a turboprop earlier this year:

Not being processed on an American scale, mind.

5. spendocrat says:

Sadly, searching for "Zeppelin rides Manitoba" returns mostly hits for some kind of rock band. Colour me jealous.

6. pvaneynd says:

Another geek went on the same trip I guess see Andrew Pollocks blog, at least from this picture...

Looks fantastic!

7. I totally gasped aloud. I had no idea about the salt ponds! What incredible views...

8. cetan says:

Wow, that looks like tremendous fun. The simplicity of http://www.jwz.org/photos/2010-10-13-airship/041.html makes it my favorite.

I rode in a hot air balloon once and after we landed it took everything I had to not run around yelling "again again again!" like a little kid.

9. lloydwood says: