Playstation and Facebook: unclear on the concept.

I saw that in the latest PS3 OS update, they added Facebook integration. Now, there's one and exactly one thing that could possibly be useful for, right? You've already thought of it in the time it took you to read that sentence. The one useful thing would be to unify your friends lists, so that your PS3 can automatically know which of your Facebook friends are online without you having to search for and then manually enter all of their Playstaion Network IDs.

Guess what, it doesn't do that. All it does is make it so that the PS3 can spam your Facebook Status every time you buy a game, and every time you upload a trophy. Who would ever, ever want it to do either of these things?

I'll bet a "Social Media Consultant" was involved.

Tags: , , ,

1. greatevil says:

First up against the wall when the revolution comes.

2. ydna says:

Who? 14 year old boys?

3. azul_ros says:

So that's the reason one of my friends' only posted updates about Left For Dead 2?! No wonder. I was so annoyed with his constant udpates (I don't do gaming) I unfollowed him on Twitter. I just dumped FB thanks to the links you posted recently. Many of my friends think it's not worth leaving the site over. That scares me & upsets me. I don't want social networking sites to start selling my data out. Nor do I want to read random gaming updates on a feed!

• pavel_lishin says:

I'm less worried about selling my data and more worried about being constantly annoyed.

I think I only follow maybe three friends on twitter because I don't care to know about their sandwich consumption.

• jmtd says:

Since L4D2 isn't available for the PS3, I think it must be something else.

4. mtbg says:

Also, what they did implement was implemented stupid. Apparently someone decided it would be a great idea to backfill posts about trophies I earned a couple months ago, from games that haven't been in my system since.

5. calience says:

*salute* I find your journal fascinating, and so I have added you. Hope you don't mind.

6. jered says:

I'll bet a "Social Media Consultant" was involved.

7. mhat says:

... that explains why my news feed suddenly started telling me which movies my friends were buying from Sony...

The future is rad, conspicuous consumption and hackable drones with munitions.

8. pikuorguk says:

Facebook has the "Ignore" button for this kind of situation. Just wave your mouse over the offending update and press "Ignore" when it appears.

Now, if Twitter could have that too, that'd be great. It'd also be great if threaded comments worked. It's stupid that someone can @reply to me, but I have no idea what they're replying to.

• pavel_lishin says:

I usually hide people who constantly post annoying things.

And I think now Twitter shows a link to the toot that people are replying too.

9. vordark says:

More and more, we need these guys.

10. heresiarch says:

yes, but how can i get paid to consult on this kind of project? clearly i'm missing some job opportunities.

11. luserspaz says:

I can't wait till my credit card company adds Facebook integration, so it can post every single thing I buy to my Facebook page.

The future is now!