Today in Destruction Facility News

As you may recall, I had a bad shredder experience last year. After that, I bought a Xerox XRX-15X shredder, which worked pretty good for a a while -- I could shred unsolicited credit cards without even opening the glossy envelope! But eventually it started making terrifying CLUNK-CLUNK CLUNK-CLUNK noises, and finally stopped working entirely. I opened it up to find that it had actually sheared half the teeth off of one of the 3"x1/2" steel gears. Pretty impressive. Now I have an EPS-1501X, which seems to be faster and quieter, as well as higher capacity.

But it does not hold a candle to these shredders!

Whole computers. Steel drums. Washing machine. Refrigerator. Couch.

Tags: ,

1. But what do you do with unneeded shredders?

2. zhixel says:

Ahhh, those are PEOPLE shredders.

• shadowolf says:

Between those shredder videos and that chicken scooper, I am either going to have some serious nightmares tonight, or have had a very successful brain enema. I'm not sure which.

3. jerronimo says:

i *need* one of those shreaders...

although i suppose that if i had one, i would not have very many posessions or furnature for very much longer...

4. jkonrath says:

I had the pleasure of using a large industrial shredder similar to one of these during a summer job when I was in college. The sound was absolutely phenomenal in volume. If you turned up one of those flash movies to eleven and held your ear to the speaker, that's about what it sounded like when I had in foam earplugs and was wearing a set of runway worker-type hearing protectors.

The place was an injection-molding factory that made PVC and ABS plastic pipe fittings, and I spent months feeding melted and deformed pieces into the gaping maw of this thing. It had a sort of chute made of steel on it so you couldn't actually see the grinding wheels, but that was fine by me, because I didn't want shards of plastic whipping back at me at near terminal velocity. The biggest pieces we had were 4" pipe fittings that were a Y-shape with four outlets, a thing about as big as your head that you could drive a truck over without even flexing or cracking the plastic, and it easily turned it into dust without pausing.

The other thing worth noting is that when we had huge melted slags of plastic from when a mold broke or something, I had to saw them into two or three pieces with a bandsaw in order to get them into the chute. The guy who worked there right before me cut off some of his fingers on the bandsaw, and when I reported in for my first day of work, the first thing I noticed was that the entire area under, next to, and above the bandsaw was covered with dried blood. Now that builds morale.

5. c0nsumer says:

It worries me that after the demonstration of medical waste being shreadded, the person runs his hands through the waste to show just how finely it's been processed.

6. xed_geek says:

I want one, no no no. I NEED ONE!
    This could solve all my problems.

7. cabrius says:

Wow, it doesn't even seem all that menacing at first, looking fairly slow and non-sharp, until OH GOD IT'S GOT MY TIE.

8. phs says:

Forget steel drums, I like the video of concrete in a steel drum!

9. bassfingers says:

couch. Good god, for a moment there I thought it read crotch...

10. ciphergoth says:

"What an interesting smell you've discovered."

11. capo_mojo says:

schöne Maschine ich liebe Dich

12. fantasygoat says:

Oh, to be rich with a big backyard.

13. peruano says:

What a fu%$# waste to schred old computers...

14. ch says:

HP has a large recycling facility in Roseville (Sacremento), with a wicked industrial shredder. I beleive you can get a tour.

15. zompist says:

I wish my company had a motto as good as "Watch it shred!"

16. cyeh says:

When I saw the shredder eating the steel drums, my mind immediately leapt to the end of Poltergeist, where the house collapses into the portal.