the party's over

Schwarzenegger outlaws sex with corpses

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Having sex with corpses is now officially illegal in California after Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a bill barring necrophilia, a spokeswoman says.

The new legislation marks the culmination of a two-year drive to outlaw necrophilia in the state and will help prosecutors who have been stymied by the lack of an official ban on the practice, according to experts.

"Nobody knows the full extent of the problem. ... But a handful of instances over the past decade is frequent enough to have a bill concerning it," said Tyler Ochoa, a professor at Santa Clara University School of Law who has studied California cases involving allegations of necrophilia.

"Prosecutors didn't have anything to charge these people with other than breaking and entering. But if they worked in a mortuary in the first place, prosecutors couldn't even charge them with that," Ochoa said on Friday.

The state's first attempt to outlaw necrophilia, in response to a case of a man charged with having sex with the corpse of a 4-year-old girl in Southern California, stalled last year in a legislative committee.

Lawmakers revived the bill this year after an unsuccessful prosecution of a man found in a San Francisco funeral home drunk and passed out on top of an elderly woman's corpse.

The new law makes sex with a corpse a felony punishable by up to eight years in prison. "Who is your daddy, and what does he do?", added the Governor.

Tags: , ,

1. archiedavis says:

great.

there goes my weekend.

2. loosechanj says:

Looks like there's no point visiting California now.

3. b_a_t says:

Recalling the phrase in the "Running man"(?) with Schwarzenegger - "He could rape and then kill you! Or, fist kill and then rape!" - that brings new meaning both to the film and the new law :)

4. schnee says:

I fail to see how being drunk and passing out on top of a corpse is related to necrophilia.

5. evan says:

my favorite part of all of this is the double meaning of "breaking and entering" in connection with necrophilia.

6. jabber says:

I swear officer, I didn't know she was dead. I only thought she was goth!

7. 33mhz says:

Man, this is gonna kill their tourism.

8. I strongly suspect that if someone is going to have sex with a corpse, he or she is going to do it regardless of whether or not it's legal.

• 33mhz says:

At a cost of 8 years max in prison, I think I'd probably just spring for a realdoll stuffed with week-old ground beef.

• baconmonkey says:

you'll note, it was passed mainly to deal with those who were caught doing it. It's not as a deterrant, but as a way to punish those caught so they can't do it again.

• If they're having problems with people who work in mortuaries, can't they just fire them and blacklist them from the industry? Putting them in jail seems like an extreme thing to do, especially given the finite nature of state resources.

• baconmonkey says:

if you support necrophilia, you support the terrorists.

• ioerror says:

Of course!

Without the terrorists, we wouldn't have all those dead iraqi children ready for the skull fucking!

Oh crap, you said terrorists not american soldiers! My mistake!

• Well it's a "special interest" thing ... who do you think is going to scream louder, the people like you and me who think that jail is overkill, or the parents of a four year old whose corpse was just fucked?

• Well, of course the parents--they'll be beside themselves with grief that their four year old is dead in the first place. I think a dead body is just a body, though--not a person--but maybe those are just my religious beliefs....

9. _uriel_ says:

Great, what's next...outlawing Cannibalism in germany or Church-Burning in Norway?
    Stupid 'THE MAN' always ruining our fun...

10. lars_larsen says:

If they cant arrest them, cant they commit them to a mental institution without any criminal charges? I think once a doctor hears they were having sex with a corpse they'll declare them insane.

11. fantasygoat says:

If it's wrong to fuck a corpse then I don't want to be right.

12. zapevaj says:

Okay, 'fess up. Which of you was it in the funeral home?

My money's on Little Matt, personally.

13. ioerror says:

What about people who feel like Perry did in Gift?

I think this is just another attack on personal freedom.
    No. Really. I am serious.

Sure sure, write me off as a nut ball. But at least hear me out.

You should be able to fuck the dead if you damn well please. Grave robbing, breaking into a morgue, those things are crimes. I don't disagree with that.

In the case of the movie I referenced above, it's about finding your wife dead.

If your wife was dead, what would your grieving process be? I suppose it depends on your living processes (faith, etc). I personally, don't see any god damn reason to stop someone from burning the corpse, burying the corpse or ejaculating into it. It's all the same, it's just coping in a different form. I don't want the state to legislate their morality onto my personal life.

Don't get me wrong, it's gross to just fuck some random corpse. But hey, fucking your dead love, that's meaning in an otherwise empty world. Especially if they are still warm.

14. shelleybear says:

"Listen Masters, never fuck 'em when they stop breathing."*

*exactitude may be suspect.

15. belgand says:

I find it rather disturbing that they had to make something illegal just because they were having trouble prosecuting people becuase what they were doing wasn't actually illegal. I mean, yes, distasteful, but assuming they had every right to be there and other safety and health precautions were followed you just have to fess up and admit that while you may not approve they're not technically doing anything wrong and you'll just have to let them continue to do it.

This is likely to be the extremely far end of the slippery slope, but it is indeed a slope. All too often creative use of the law to charge people for doing something you don't like that isn't actually illegal by charging them with something else (e.g. parading without a permit charges against protesters). The fact that necrophilia needed to be made illegal is even more odd. Again, while many, many, people dislike the idea and likely find it highly repulsive and objectionable provided that no reasonable laws are broken (e.g. grave robbing, breaking and entering, improper storage of a corpse, etc.) is there any legitimate reason to legislate against it?

I've often wondered about the specific laws that would come into play regarding necrophilia. I mean, if it's more of a rape issue that centers around the inability to provide consent would it be possible to provide consent in one's will? Is it merely a matter of unlife? Would a fully consenting zombie or other member of the undead be forbidden to engage in sexual relations due to their particular ailment?

16. gordonzola says:

I've been meaning to write about the local corpse fucker. this will spur me into it though it may take a week or two. Longtime customer, actually.